Hi all - how to quantify blocks for single and double leaf block construction?

Hi everyone,

I'm a bricklayer who's back on the trowel after several years away from the game and I must say I'm finding it tough. The physical side of it is fine (after a few hard weeks mind) but it's the information / theory side I'm finding most difficult. Even the bonding of blockwork (blockwork so far has been 80% of my work) I find a bit difficult being truthful.

Has anybody had any similar experiences? How did they find it? Did you feel like I do sometimes, like your serving your time all over again? ?

Would anybody recommend any literature for me to read?

Also, regards to quantifying blocks - how would you do it? Lets say I was asked to build a block (440 x 215 x 100) on edge shed and they sent me the dimensions of the slab that they wanted it built on

• Do I just add the length and width of the proposed building, multiply this figure by 2 and then multiply that figure by how many courses high it is going? 

I then deduct the door and window from this figure. 

• Now if they now wanted to change the spec of the shed to cavity work with a 100mm inner leaf, 100mm cavity and a 100mm outer leaf how would I calculate how many blocks they would need for the outer leaf?

This is probably a really basic question but I just cant get me head around it! ?

Genuine thanks for anybody who replies.

Cheers,

IR.

1 hour ago, Irish Rover said:

• Do I just add the length and width of the proposed building, multiply this figure by 2 and then multiply that figure by how many courses high it is going? 

That works if you measure the length and width in blocks. 

• Like 1