Changing use of dormer kitchen to a bedroom

Dedwards

Moving into a 1960s dormer bungalow which has had the first floor converted to an annexe with kitchen. The problem was we could establish no building regs, but had a full structural survey with no problems found. It was converted from what we know about 23 years ago.

One room is currently a kitchen and we want to change its use to a bedroom and i am of the understanding we will need building regs sign off to do this.

As part of the purchase we had an indemnity policy taken out for the lack of buildings regs. My concern is now that if we start to get the buildings officers involved it will make the indemnity policy null and void along with the can of worms of them asking to bring the room up to modern standards for insulation etc, which i doubt it would be!!!!

Am i worrying over nothing and should just get the building officer involved??

Many thanks

Damien

Ok so not sure why you need building regs unless you are putting a bathroom in ..? You are removing items so assume it already has stairs etc ..??

Your point about building regs only relates to the (pointless) indemnity your solicitor got you to pay for which I expect indemnifies you for cost in case the council come knocking or the whole thing falls down. Either way, it is unlikely to pay out ...

A BCO cannot ask you to improve a building to current standard unless you are altering that element as part of notifiable works. So if you installed a toilet into a wooden shed stood on your flat roof, they can only inspect the toilet install and cannot insist you insulate the ceilings and walls if the elements have existed for more than 10 years (from memory)

Worth identifying the work you want to do then deciding if it is notifiable. 

Hey Peter, 

Thanks for the reply. Luckily we did not pay for the indemnity, sellers did and was needed as part of the deal with the mortgage. Yes....stairs are allready in place. They were actually put in when the place was built as it was built with a dormer.

My understanding was that building regs are required as changing room use.....is that not the case? 

So who decides if work is notigiable or not?

25 years an automotive engineer and this is the first year in a "project" building.....everything before has been new build!!

I'll get the hang of it!!

Cheers.

Some sections of the Approved Docs say a kitchen isn't a habitable room (F) and others that it is (B & M).  Most websites say it is.

Personally I wouldn't bother with BCA unless you are doing structural work. 

• Like 1