Structural engineer for Vaulted Ceiling

Laurence737

Hi Everyone,

we are currently renovating our property and want to raise the ceiling height in the bedrooms and vault a part of the ceiling.

Would this require building notice and would we need to get calculations done by a SE?  The building is a hall conversion so the internal rooms do not support the roof structure, however we will be battening and insulating the roof structure.

Any help would be massively appreciated ??

How is the roof structure ventilated? Normal lofts have eaves vents so air goes in one side across the floor of the loft just above the insulation and out the other.  If you change this so the insulation  is between the rafters you will probably need to add vents at the ridge equivalent to a 5mm slot..

The insulation changes will need building control involvement.

image.png.505e9217d12bf1326a82488315920040.png

Hi Temp,

Thanks a lot for the info really useful!

at the moment I believe the roof space is vented just at the gable end, I was intending to fit tile vets on the lower part of the roof and ridge vents along the top, I would then leave a 50mm air gap before the insulation.

would the additional weight on the underside of the roof need a SE? Or would it just need approval from the building inspector?

Get an SEng to have a look and draw the plans up. It’s not unusual to find that old roof structures are at limits of strength as they have been adjusted over the years and timbers removed or new elements added.