Building a garage over my own services (gas and elec)

Moonshine

This may be in the wrong place but I don't know where else to put it (mods please move if required)

I have got planning for a garage in front of my house as below, and recently the ground investigation identified where the gas and electric come into the main house (indicated in the blue lines below), bang under where I want to put the garage.

image.thumb.png.451e5e7fd9337048a39e441e0d835e0a.png

I am looking to do an insulated raft foundation to the garage which will probably need to be circa 300mm deep from current levels.

The question i have is can you build over these types of services, if so what safe depth do they need to be? how do you find out how deep they are?

Alternatively we could reroute the services round the front of the proposed garage, but i don't know how feasible this is and the likely cost.

Any ideas?

If you dig a small trench either side to expose the services you can work out their depth and whether the raft will be able to bridge them.  It is not unusual for services to run under a slab.  I thought you had an integral garage in your plans?

7 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

If you dig a small trench either side to expose the services you can work out their depth and whether the raft will be able to bridge them.  It is not unusual for services to run under a slab.  I thought you had an integral garage in your plans?

I do for the new house, this is the existing house, who's garden is the plot for the new house.

This is the replacement garage for the existing garage which is getting demolished to make room for the new house.

Well the gas and electricity cable should be at a depth to avoid digging

https://www.sgn.co.uk/sites/default/files/media-entities/documents/2019-11/SGN-Excavation-Guide-160216.pdf

there will be similar guidance eofnethe electrical supplier in your area.

if it’s not to these depths, let them know and they can lower accordingly at their own cost

11 minutes ago, TonyT said:

Well the gas and electricity cable should be at a depth to avoid digging

https://www.sgn.co.uk/sites/default/files/media-entities/documents/2019-11/SGN-Excavation-Guide-160216.pdf

there will be similar guidance eofnethe electrical supplier in your area.

if it’s not to these depths, let them know and they can lower accordingly at their own cost

I could be in luck then, especially as just below the image posted, there is a circa 1m wall down to the pavement, so they should be buried deep on my site to account for that level difference.