Planning feedback

Omi

1 minute ago, Redoctober said:

@the_r_sole - @Omi Here is another "local" house -  with alcove gable type frontage. Good luck with resolving the issues raised.

image.jpeg.8106b531f08b8beead207663f7fcfb13.jpeg

Although, it's a very different type/style of house - and this is the point, if you just cherry pick addons without considering the design as a whole you'll end up with a house which doesn't look quite right...

I am not slow to criticise architects but I think it would be really useful to have a designer spend a couple of hours resolving this properly as this is going to cost a lot of your money.

As others have said, elevation and plan could be a lot better.

Having had a long drawn out fight with planners over my build, stick by your guns. Yes, re evaluate internals like @PeterW says and if that  changes the frontage then all well and good. Go to committee first (get a local councillor to do this fir you) then go to appeal if all else fails, I did my own (not rocket science) and won ?.

Let me throw in a few plan ideas, having asked the orientation question.

- I like that your bedrooms are all doubles and all different.

- I wonder about that machine room out in a far corner. That will be a long hot water run to, for example, your kitchen. Ditto some heating. I might suggest a cupboard in the current pantry back to back with the all.

- As discussed, you may have a red herring or two in the downstairs loos. I wonder about making the bed 3 loo-shower into the visitor one by moving the door. Maybe even making it a bed 3 / hall Jack and Jill. IMO that is only time a jack and Jill is really acceptable.

- Biggest suggestion. I think that the dining and living are the wrong way round.  The end section has better 2 aspect (3 if you adjust the study) light, and you will spend more time in the living area during the day. Putting the dining by the front door gives more scope for narrowing the gable either side should you need. Personally I would be more radical and try to get the kitchen with a S and an E aspect - mine faces N with bigger windows than this and it is still too dark. And that is in the English Midlands, which I think gets more light in general than Reiver Country.

F

58 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Having had a long drawn out fight with planners over my build, stick by your guns. Yes, re evaluate internals like @PeterW says and if that  changes the frontage then all well and good. Go to committee first (get a local councillor to do this fir you) then go to appeal if all else fails, I did my own (not rocket science) and won ?.

Round our way going to committee isn't the answer - they end up following the planning recommendation - or at least the chairman does. And the cttee btw know nothing about planning law - it's just how they take on what planning are telling them.  We had 2 goes at ctte (local councillor owns adjacent land so it had to go there) both times it was a draw and the chairman voted with the planning advice - which was obviously wrong and we'd pointed it out to them.  Maybe that's what did it....

Anyway, at appeal the inspector essentially said - no idea what the council are doing in this case it's obvious it's OK - permission granted.  So I'd go with stick to your guns but all the rest of the crap beforehand, I'd fast fail - we wasted a LOT of time trying to do the right thing.  We started over 3 years ago and we're only planning to break ground in a few months time. Years you can't get back.

Simon

9 minutes ago, Bramco said:

Round our way going to committee isn't the answer - they end up following the planning recommendation - or at least the chairman does.

I had the same problem but was hoping it was just here.

10 minutes ago, Bramco said:

Anyway, at appeal the inspector essentially said - no idea what the council are doing in this case it's obvious it's OK - permission granted. 

Yup, same here, inspector even said the planners were not following their own guidelines ????

3 hours ago, Bramco said:

Anyway, at appeal the inspector essentially said - no idea what the council are doing in this case it's obvious it's OK - permission granted.  So I'd go with stick to your guns but all the rest of the crap beforehand, I'd fast fail - we wasted a LOT of time trying to do the right thing.  We started over 3 years ago and we're only planning to break ground in a few months time. Years you can't get back.

Good advice - time is a luxury that we don't have.

Anyway, thanks for all the comments  everyone - much appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Quick update - we have planning permission! The approved elevations are:

image.thumb.png.684e91f3291168a3738bfe911d8b96be.png

Unfortunately we lost one of our favourite features - the arched covered entrance - in reducing the width of the gable but must admit that the elevation does look better proportioned this way.

We still need to get actual stonework and render colour approved before building can commence so anticipate that our next battle will be over that -- particularly the definition of the colour "cream" which was demanded by the planner. We're not big fans of "cream" with a heavy proportion of yellow/orange so here's hoping we can convince him that the RAL colour chart "Cream" is acceptable: https://www.ralcolorchart.com/ral-classic/ral-9001-cream

• Like 5

11 hours ago, PeterW said:

I’d start at the top of the Weber colour chart ..!

https://www.uk.weber/colour-charts/weberpral-m

Thanks, we did look at that - we've been finding that "Cream" according to Weber and K-Rend seem to be a lot more yellow/orange compared to Cream according to RAL -- at least on a screen. We'll need to order some samples to see what they actually look like in practice.

• 1 month later...

Ended up going with ecorend "Portland Stone" which is actually more off-white than cream in reality -- accepted by planning office with no questions asked ?

All planning conditions have now been discharged. The final palette (render and stone) is:

image.png.0eedc167c6eca51d288bc0b4405f99e8.png image.png.8a827ff05125725a81c8ccb4d2df05f6.png