Piling contractors

Makeitstop

Hi folks,

Has anyone got any experience of mini piling, (150mm diameter, steel cased bottom driven type) and the typical quantity used for a given area?

I know this is a very general question and it may depend on ground conditions, but, having contacted a number of different contractors, and having provided them with the exact same information, I am confused as to how they seem to suggest such differing solutions for the job in hand.

It's a single story extension, approx 6.3 metres by 3.5 metres, and will be your normal brick and block construction.

• Like 1

Yes I get that. I know it's a tough one.

One suggested 7 piles at 4 metres and another 12 piles at 6 metres. Both suggest 150mm steel cased driven piles.

Of course, for any additional depth, there's a charge, which is to be expected. I'm a bit confused as to the variation in number of piles used though.

Edited by Makeitstop
  • Like 1

I'd expect the number and position of piles to be specified by whoever is designing the foundations (structural engineer?), probably based on a soil

survey.   The actual depth of piles is a bit of an educated guess, as the piles need to be driven until they meet a specified level of resistance; that may vary a bit from piles to pile, but probably not by much.

If you've any neighbours that have had piles done, try and find out what depth to give you a better guide.  My contractor offered money back if the quoted depth wasn't needed.

Edited by Roundtuit

Well, both were provided with a report of ground conditions, which includes a borehole taken on my plot to a depth of 8 metres.

If has a clear description of soil conditions throughout depth increase, with very clear information. This was done by a geotechnical firm that undertook the investigation for the whole development.

No neighbours have had any additional works since construction of the properties a few years ago

Edited by Makeitstop

I've not involved an SE to create a pile design no, so I guess it is a case of them using what I've provided, along with a degree of guesswork, in order to generate their suggested solutions.

What confuses me is the variation in two contractors quotes, given the exact same information, which clearly shows the soil under the plot.

Still, it is what it is.

On 23/01/2021 at 14:13, Makeitstop said:

I've not involved an SE to create a pile design no, so I guess it is a case of them using what I've provided, along with a degree of guesswork, in order to generate their suggested solutions.

What confuses me is the variation in two contractors quotes, given the exact same information, which clearly shows the soil under the plot.

Still, it is what it is.

Mate! don't worry over others interpretations!

I have worryingly just been reading up very much googleastheexpert.... 

A screw pile should be around 8' to 10' from each other with most starting at corners and distributing them across the area that's needed.

I am not an SE or anything else along those lines but like most here keen to understand and be involved in all aspects of my build! 

The last ten days have seen me reviewing virtually 80% of our costings after a seven month hiatus courtesy of our   PO as is this interest of mine in screw piles. We are needing them too! for a 5.5m 7.5m Summer house at the extreme end of  our garden.

Every set of specs and quotes I have had so far ALL differ in some way or other, which for me has had a peripatetic feel to the project design and setting of brief

As a side note from undertaking  this review I have sought material savings of about 3.5k on a 35k materials budget. 

Ian

Edited by ianfish

Oh, nasty.

Have you looked into piling methods, or just decided on screw piles for the speed by which they are done?

I have a few difficulties in my plot, so am somewhat limited to methods. Some of the price variations I've received have been astonishing.

• Like 1

Basically it was a conversation between the PO and our Architect or rather our Architect after two postponements suggested it as a way forward

The PO was just not helpful and had about as much charisma as a five year old, lacking in clear communication ( we had I believe four communications ) with him over six months every time at the end of the period he had given, for me it lacked respect and any real meaningful consultation, we can give him all our ideas and he came back with pitiful negatives..... 

Edited by ianfish

Doesn't sound like an enjoyable experience.

The building regs drawings for my job should be sorted over the next week, so what lay ahead for me re: dealing with any council reps remains to be seen. I'm hoping it'll be straightforward, but we'll see.

I'd be curious to know how all the varying methods of piling would be viewed. I've had astronomical quotes for what appears fairly simplistic to apparently reasonable quotes for what seems to be overkill.

Its baffled me tbf 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Driven piles with the first 3m predrilled if needed. That was the most cost effective way I could find.  Searched everywhere - just scroll through my history of stupid ideas on this forum. Even went as far as pricing up screwpiles from Alibaba incl the digger attachment plus shipping from Shengzen to Liverpool.... still all too expensive. Ended up with a local piling guy. Had to accept the fact that piling is expensive at the end.