Thermostat upgrades

Chriswills

I have been thinking about an upgrade of my 5 zone temp sensors to something that I can programme to set the temperature back a few degrees overnight and then ramp up around 5 am. 
I have only off/on option now via a timer and the ashp does not have any programmable options with regards to temperature. 
Something like a Hive system be good. 
What’s your thoughts guys?

Heres my current stats. 

image.jpg

• 2 years later...

Just wanted to start this post up again......

Every time I come downstairs in the morning the smart meter reads £5 while we have been sleeping...makes no sense to me.

Is there a replacement Stat out there which would be able to go back say 2 degrees overnight, using no power as such and then back to normal thereafter. I have solar PV too so should get some offset on that too. We have ASHP

Any thoughts?

What heat pump do you have?

The manufacturers controller will/should/probably be able to do the best job of this.

Simple on/off stats (like hive) have no place in a heat pump installation.

I have a NIBE S2125 ASHP, not able to reduce the temperature at certain times, only holiday modes.

All I want is to set back the stats by 2 degrees overnight so there is no call for warming up the house when Im in bed?

Dont want an on/off scenario

Unless the stat communicates with the heat pump to reduce it's flow temperature during the night time, thus reducing the internal house temperature (modulation/compensating controls) then it will still be an on/off stat, like your Emmeti unit. With your weather comp set correctly, the Emmeti stat should be working as a hi-limit stat anyway.

You could use any manner of programmable thermostats to do this automated setback, either with IoT capability, or just a regular programmer.

You might have better efficiency however by using the 'Silent mode' in the Nibe controller to limit the thermal output of the heat pump during the night time hours.

On 01/03/2023 at 23:05, HughF said:

Unless the stat communicates with the heat pump to reduce it's flow temperature during the night time, thus reducing the internal house temperature (modulation/compensating controls) then it will still be an on/off stat, like your Emmeti unit. With your weather comp set correctly, the Emmeti stat should be working as a hi-limit stat anyway.

You could use any manner of programmable thermostats to do this automated setback, either with IoT capability, or just a regular programmer.

You might have better efficiency however by using the 'Silent mode' in the Nibe controller to limit the thermal output of the heat pump during the night time hours.

How do I set this up please, I have the SM0 S40 control unit and fully activated APP too?

On 01/03/2023 at 22:08, Chriswills said:

I have a NIBE S2125 ASHP, not able to reduce the temperature at certain times, only holiday modes.

All I want is to set back the stats by 2 degrees overnight so there is no call for warming up the house when Im in bed?

Dont want an on/off scenario

I think Nibe S2125 refers to the outdoor unit. What indoor unit do you have that controls your system? Could be an SMO 40 or 20?

I have an SMO 20 and I use the scheduling to offset the heat curve at different times. (I increase it over night to make the most of cheap E7 electricity and then set it back during the day) 

In which case you can definitely set schedules.

If you have a room stat connected to SMO 40 you'll be able to set the actual temperature for various periods. If you don't have a room thermostat you can offset the weather compensation curve for different time periods.

See page 24 of the user manual

https://www.nibe.eu/assets/documents/23958/231765-5.pdf

I would highly recommend that you read the other posts on this forum and those at renewableheatinghub.co.uk to understand the importance of running these systems in weather compensation mode and only using your 'Emmetti' thermostat as a maximum temperature limit (which generally is set higher than your required temp ie 24C). Then you tune the weather compensation curve depending on how the house responds to the outside temeprature.