Brick vs thin joint blockwork + render

WWilts

Structural design so far has been traditional inner block + full fill cavity + outer brick (cast stone for front elevation only)

Came across thin joint blockwork + monocouche render. Very tempting. Plentiful supply if I understood right. Shorter time to watertight. 

Are there serious downsides to the blockwork & render option?

There’s not much between both 

Face brick and Labour more than block and block Though the added render will take you to a similar cost 

As you say Block and Block is quicker to watertight 

And a week of decent weather will see off most 200-300 m2 jobs 

Monocouche render is easy to apply and problem and maintenance free

As a render contractor I would advise you to get an experienced company to do the render not just the guy who’s going to skim the internal walls 

and go and have a look at there previous work 

• Like 1

Insulation choice gets squeezed with thin joints, but as you say full fill i'm guessing you are going for fibreglass/wool? If so this will be OK. If you are thinking full fill PIR, this is a no go, as the boards are designed for traditional mortar joints, not thin joint.

• Like 1

Thanks @nod

1 hour ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

If you are thinking full fill PIR, this is a no go, as the boards are designed for traditional mortar joints, not thin joint.

Did not know this. Is wool the only remaining option?

Earthwool DriTherm Cavity Slabs: that's in the design. Might it work with thin joint blockwork?

Edited by WWilts