Sack Truck / Trolley / Barrow - are cheap ones any good?

Oxbow16

Well, they go by a lot of names!  But I don't have one...  I've got some large flat rocks to move in the garden though, and there have been other times that I wished I'd had one to hand.  So I'm in the market...

It won't get a lot of use though and so I don't want to spend more than I have to.  But are these cheapos to be avoided at all costs?  Or has anyone used/got one and found them to be ok?  

Thoughts appreciated.

Many thanks

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325KG-Steel-Heavy-Duty-High-Back-P-Handle-Sack-Truck-Transport-Trolley-Cart/223565461849?var=522311426429

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/600lb-Heavy-Duty-Sack-Truck-Industrial-Hand-Trolley-With-Pneumatic-Tyre-Wheel/402610954963

Sorry, no direct experience, but you can get something 'trade rated' from screwfix for not much more money, then at least you can take it back easily if the proverbial wheels fall off! 

I also knew a removal guy (man with a van) who bought his 2 sets from Aldi (not currently available I think) and they were great, so I don't think you have spend big to get a decent set.

• Thanks 1

This all depends on the load weight and ground you are going over. the fold-up/doubles as a platform truck ones are great in a workshop od on a flat solid floor.

In a garden you need something with large wheelbarrow type wheels - and go for a fully welded one.

We have a few around work, one is a new cheap chinese thing and its brilliant, inflated tyres and fully welded, think it cost around £30

• Thanks 1

Buy a wheel barrow and remove the skip. You can then set large heavy items across the bars and the wheel well take all the weight and be much easier to wheel across any terrain. I use this for moving 3*2 concrete flags, best method I have ever seen. When your finished doing this job at least you have a new barrow for all the other jobs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Oxbow16 said:

It won't get a lot of use though and so I don't want to spend more than I have to.  But are these cheapos to be avoided at all costs?

No.

But it depends how they are stored. Mostly they will not be in use.

In the rain, unloved lying around on site they'll deterorate quickly. On a stillage out of the weather, squirt of WD 40 or silicone grease as you go past every now and then, and mine are fine. It's the inflatable tyres  that fail quickest, so swop them for solid ones, or buy some of that squirty stuff that will re-flate them ('RunFlatFoam' ? sorry forgotten the trade name).

I have an expensive French wheelbarrow that's outside all the time (covering our cement bags), its in perfect condition - apart from the axle , which is jammed solid. You can come and take it away for free any day you want. I loathe it. If only I took my own advice every now and then. ?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Great replies - thank you very much.  

I think I'll go with puncture proof pneumatic tyres.  It will see most use outdoors over the years.  But some indoor use too.  For example, I've got an old wood stove I'm hoping to sell (or at least move to an out building).  And I'll be making my own concrete speaker stands at some point it he future.  So a bit of both, but mostly outdoor use.  

Whether it will be as useful as I'm hoping, I don't know.  But for some items I don't think I could lift them high enough to get them into/onto a wheelbarrow, whereas with a sack trolley I could shimmy it onto the plate without the need to lift.  That's the plan anyhow!  

Good thinking RE Screwfix (I've had great experiences with their customer support in the past), and thanks for the MachineMart link, I'll check it out.  

@markc I don't suppose you know or have a link to the Chinese one you mention?

I'll be storing it in a shed or outhouse, and I recently bought a nice large can of WD40 :)  

Thanks again.

I have a basic Macalister one from B&Q... It's invaluable! Can lift very bulky and heavy loads. Has pneumatic tyres and only needed topped up once in the last year. It basically lives outside. Lasting well.

Whatever one you get, make sure it has the drop down extension bars. Makes it's easier to lift bulky loads.

37 minutes ago, Conor said:

I have a basic Macalister one from B&Q... It's invaluable! Can lift very bulky and heavy loads. Has pneumatic tyres and only needed topped up once in the last year. It basically lives outside. Lasting well.

Whatever one you get, make sure it has the drop down extension bars. Makes it's easier to lift bulky loads.

Sorry to be thick, but do you mean at the bottom (to make the plate bigger) or at the top?  Or do you have a link to what you mean?  

Many thanks

2 hours ago, Oxbow16 said:

Great replies - thank you very much.  

I think I'll go with puncture proof pneumatic tyres.  It will see most use outdoors over the years.  But some indoor use too.  For example, I've got an old wood stove I'm hoping to sell (or at least move to an out building).  And I'll be making my own concrete speaker stands at some point it he future.  So a bit of both, but mostly outdoor use.  

Whether it will be as useful as I'm hoping, I don't know.  But for some items I don't think I could lift them high enough to get them into/onto a wheelbarrow, whereas with a sack trolley I could shimmy it onto the plate without the need to lift.  That's the plan anyhow!  

Good thinking RE Screwfix (I've had great experiences with their customer support in the past), and thanks for the MachineMart link, I'll check it out.  

@markc I don't suppose you know or have a link to the Chinese one you mention?

I'll be storing it in a shed or outhouse, and I recently bought a nice large can of WD40 :)  

Thanks again.

Pretty much the one that @joe90 gave the link to