Let the nightmare begin

Taff

???

ok property not too far off completion probs 2 months. Little snag!!!! Main contractor has lost the plot I’m guessing it’s money issues! So going around the house ASHP/MVHR/Electrics/Plumbing and much more are all started and not complete, there are cables hidden away along with vents etc which finding will be a challenge. I have inquired through our architect who is supposed to be managing it he has informed me that the sparky/plumber will not come back ?? so this is going to be a costly exercise. 

Architect is busy trying to source tradesmen but i dont hold much hope, I know a few that could assist.

the build is 6 months overdue and we are homeless next month so we are going to have to slum it I reckon. I can do a lot of the manual stuff like tiling, woodwork etc but the electrics/ASHP will need proper trades men. 

so apart from being ripped of by the contractor and a poor architect I’m in a bit of a pickle.

first things first I need to source some insurance does anyone have any expertise in this area. I’ll be doing and managing most but just need probably cover for plumber/sparky, or do they provide their own. My tools are on site so too, the house is secure and there’s the usual sand/gravel/drainage etc outside.

i was looking at self build insurance 

thanks in anticipation, feel free to come and help me!!!! ?

I am really sorry to hear this.  Sadly it is not that unusual, especially if they are paid up in full.

With insurance, all your contractors should have their own but you also need self build policy.  Others will suggest the best value.

Is it possible to contact the sparky and see if he will come back to work for you?  Don't bother if he is a pain though!

Hopefully the house is fairly weathertight?

Sorry to hear this news. It’s a challenging time to get trades in to do anything. Maybe you could say where you are so that people who live locally might be able to suggest a plumber or spark. 

As far as insurance goes try Protek as I believe that they offer flexible cover rather than a one size fits all policy. 

https://www.protekselfbuild.co.uk

11 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

I am really sorry to hear this.  Sadly it is not that unusual, especially if they are paid up in full.

With insurance, all your contractors should have their own but you also need self build policy.  Others will suggest the best value.

Is it possible to contact the sparky and see if he will come back to work for you?  Don't bother if he is a pain though!

Hopefully the house is fairly weathertight?

We haven’t fully paid but we’ve paid for more than we got that’s for sure, we tried the sparky route I think he’s so embarrassed he will not come back. House almost sealed needs the ridge tiles and the rear guttering sorted which I have a roofer sorting this week. So all I need is a self build policy?

thanks 

10 hours ago, newhome said:

Sorry to hear this news. It’s a challenging time to get trades in to do anything. Maybe you could say where you are so that people who live locally might be able to suggest a plumber or spark. 

As far as insurance goes try Protek as I believe that they offer flexible cover rather than a one size fits all policy. 

https://www.protekselfbuild.co.uk

We should have opted for local in the first place we wouldn’t be in this bloody mess, it’s just ruined the whole project ? I’ll get the wife to look at protek.

thanks for the help