Water getting past window seal

James94

Hi all, I’ve just had origin doors and windows installed and I’m having water build up on the inside of the seal. As you can see on the photo attached it’s past the drainage hole and seems to be corroding the screws. 

I’ve spoke with the supplier/installer who has been in contact with the technical team at origin and they’ve said it’s fine.

Thanks James 

43A26A36-5B75-475B-AD90-15780AC7FD97.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Just like to revive this post, wondered why I never got any replies and realised I never asked a question, just pointed out a fact. So do you think water should be getting here or should stay just on the weep hole side?

Regards. James

Origin aluminium windows, I don’t think it’s condensation just think it’s getting past seal. I’ve spoken to origin and there saying it’s fine, my concern  is this water has nowhere to escape and some of the fixing screws are showing signs of corrosion, so god knows what there going to be like in a few years time.

Regards. James

10 hours ago, James94 said:

Think they was ow80 model, 

Regards. James

Pretty clear to me, that the drainage is at the front from the section detail and picture, that water that pools at the back has got nowhere to go and in a closed position should not be getting anywhere near the inner aspect of the frame.

I have included a snapshot of the detail below and the blue line and water drops is what is on the drawing for drainage (available in PDF & DWG here).

0dc61d9831a1f0100631d149a7a96757.png.7f42b18624351aef97b5f832e0031cd9.png

It is an aluminium system, it shouldn't be of great concern but at the same time. It shouldn't be happening, it's definitely not what is designed to happen according to this detail.

My biggest question is this though and please remember, I'm coming at this with knowledge of windows and doors but I'm not familiar with the Origin window. From the picture you have shown three ribs are clearly visible all the way along, on top of that should be what appears to be a gasket. The picture doesn't show this at all but it does show locking keeps (however, I highly doubt the section represents the locking keeps).

I have highlighted the thermally broken detail in green (shown the three ribs) and above the gasket. Is this missing (orange section)? I could be way off the mark, as I'm looking at a picture and section detail and as mentioned a caveat of I don't know the system but it looks like it is.

If yes, then that would explain the problem. If yes, then the window is only sealing on outer edge and inner edge and not in the middle as shown in the section detail.

9c4ba007f62319cf79c4cd8517b0cfcf.png.15e1f2a6db70db48c2ea723717be6d15.png

Edited by craig
  • Like 1

Take a picture from the side looking along the underside of the opening section. I’m intrigued as to what’s going on. The gasket would be on the frame, it interlocks on the ribs.

I’m not saying go to them guns blazing but certainly ask the question. I could be wrong but it does look questionable.

“Why does the drawing look this but my windows do not appear to have this gasket?” It may be something in nothing and a straight forward answer.

Edited by craig

• 2 weeks later...