Help to find clear glazing packers, please

Jer70

I’m not sure if i’m in the right forum but stumbled across this site whilst searching for info on re-siliconing my walk-in shower screen. I’m a total diy novice (sorry!) so these could be silly questions and, if so, please can you direct me to other diy forums that may be more suitable?

My question:

where can I buy (in small quantities) transparent/clear glazing packers? I think that’s what they’re called anyway. Basically, whilst removing the old sealant I found 2 small hard pieces of plastic under the glass and this is what I need to replace. Or do I? Whilst searching, I’ve read instructions on sealing showers and they don’t mention these “packers” and some just say silicone alone is enough.  I’ve searched for the clear packers for hours and can only find coloured ones so am now at the point of considering just going with the silicon but am worried this might be unsafe??

Hoping someone may be able to help.

42 minutes ago, JamesP said:

Thank you so much for such a quick response. Can I ask how many you would use and spacing? Also, do you cut them into shorter lengths? The existing ones are only around 15mm.

one other question, my glass is 5mm and these are 6mm is that ok and do I just silicon over the protrusion? 
Many thanks

if its a shower screen then ideally you dont want any packers as this is likely to leave voids that will collect water.

If the glass is a little short or base not quite level then it would be better to lay down a bead of silicon (thicker than you need), allow to almost dry and then sit the glass on that.

No voids and better load distribution.

Packs are needed in UPVC frames etc to hold doors and window square .... or out of square to fit the frame etc.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, markc said:

if its a shower screen then ideally you dont want any packers as this is likely to leave voids that will collect water.

If the glass is a little short or base not quite level then it would be better to lay down a bead of silicon (thicker than you need), allow to almost dry and then sit the glass on that.

No voids and better load distribution.

Packs are needed in UPVC frames etc to hold doors and window square .... or out of square to fit the frame etc.

Thanks for replying. The glass panels are already in (about 10 yrs old) so Im literally just replacing the silicon at the bottom so wouldn’t be able to allow it to dry before sitting the glass on. Can I just silicon the glass as it is?

2 hours ago, Jer70 said:

Thank you so much for such a quick response. Can I ask how many you would use and spacing? Also, do you cut them into shorter lengths? The existing ones are only around 15mm.

one other question, my glass is 5mm and these are 6mm is that ok and do I just silicon over the protrusion? 
Many thanks

You have had help from others, I used the spaces, only 3 as I was fixing a 10mm x1000mm x 2000mm screen onto the wall and shower tray. I then siliconed once in place. 

If the screen is already fixed to the wall and not slipping down just fill with silicon.