Heatle - An alternative to boiling water tap or kettle?

I'd probably keep on counter top so the kids would be at a bigger risk. I guess the problem would be that occasionally you might still want a whole kettle of boiling water (for mopping floor, general cleaning etc.)? Handy for milk for cappuccinos and hot chocolate ect.

12 minutes ago, Onoff said:

So in effect an induction "rod" is it? Looks great until you trip and impale yourself on it.

Oh come on, surely you could re-engineer a portable induction hob to do this by Xmas 2024

1 minute ago, daiking said:

Oh come on, surely you could re-engineer a portable induction hob to do this by Xmas 2024

Tempted to drop a table spoon into my favourite mug and chuck it on the induction hob here tbh...

9 hours ago, Onoff said:

Tempted to drop a table spoon into my favourite mug and chuck it on the induction hob here tbh...

Go for it......and report back.

Edited by joe90

17 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Just tried it on mine, throws an error.

Even if the spoon were magnetic (is it?) 
Is there enough substance to it for the job not to throw a safety error? The base of the induction stick cannot just be there to stop it falling over.

Try a small saucepan in the bottom of a large Pyrex dish. (I am not trying this at home)

1 minute ago, daiking said:

Even if the spoon were magnetic (is it?) 
Is there enough substance to it for the job not to throw a safety error? The base of the induction stick cannot just be there to stop it falling over.

Try a small saucepan in the bottom of a large Pyrex dish. (I am not trying this at home)

Probably all of the above.

I made a cuppa in about 30 seconds with my kettle.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/01/2021 at 07:48, SteamyTea said:

My kettle cost a tenner from Tesco.

I am very dubious of any advantages.

Might be of interest if you're regularly trying to make drinks which need a particular temperature significantly below boiling - lets you just press a button rather than diluting/mixing. Pretty much all the other claims are greenwash though, and having to wash what is essentially your kettle (the stick) every time you make a drink sounds like a pain in the backside.