Hello (again)

Trw144

Well it's been just over 4 years since we completed and moved into our self-build. This forum was a great resource for information and ideas and we have been so pleased with our home.

We now have another self build project in the offing. We have some initial design ideas and are only at the early stages of pre-planning advice, but I still thought I best get back on this forum and researching how/what my build will be!

Edited by Trw144
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Welcome back.

You see the self build bug is adictive.  They say you probably get it nearly right by No 3.

Well this will be number 3 (4 if I count one I built and sold next door) so hopefully I get it somewhere close!

It doesn't feel as if I ever left - skimming a few topics and it seems all the same faces are still here (although I haven't seen one from the Welsh wizard plumber?)

1 minute ago, Trw144 said:

Well this will be number 3 (4 if I count one I built and sold next door) so hopefully I get it somewhere close!

It doesn't feel as if I ever left - skimming a few topics and it seems all the same faces are still here (although I haven't seen one from the Welsh wizard plumber?)

I am 5 years into my build and nearly finished.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So the pre-planning feedback has come back, and in the words of our planning consultant contains  "nothing insurmountable whatsoever". We now need to firm up on the exact design and materials, taking into account the planning feedback received. Although I have been thinking about  the construction method, we haven't wanted to invest too much thought on our wants until we had an idea the planners were in general agreement (the site already had planning but for a much smaller property in a completely different style).

The biggest concern was the impact of the large glazed gable and light spill so need to consider how to mitigate this (non reflective glass, setting the glazing back with an overhang spring to mind, louvres), without destroying the reason for the glass - the great view. The other points were to consider how to mitigate traffic noise (although it's much further from the road than where we are now), and about using darker materials instead of white render" (which we wanted to anyway).

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Well, after what seems like an age for a decision (6 months), we have finally been granted planning permission. Not sure when I'll start but need to start thinking of the construction method and external finishes - currently leaning towards ICF construction as  it lends itself well to the basement construction.

• Like 1