How to initiate Change of use

Sally

Hi

With the new change of use laws that came out about 3 years ago, I manage to get change of use from commercial to residential on a small workshop I own.

what do I do next??? 

how do I initiate it so I can start living there ???

do I simply write to my local council and ask for a council tax bill 

So you've finished converting it? Have Building Control issued a completion certificate?

The council cant issue a council tax bill until its been given a band by the VOA but the council normally send them the info they need. So yes Id write to the council tax office to tell them you have completed on <date> and request they contact the VOA.

You can move in when you like if you have a completion cert (or even before).

Edited by Temp

So you secured Planning for the change of use but have not yet implemented the approval, which was done 3 years ago? If so, you may find your approval has expired and you’ll need to re-apply. Some LPA’s even have a reduced implementation period of 1 year where the proposals involve the creation of residential dwellings, so check the wording of your approval. If however you have implemented the approval within 3 years, have you submitted a Building Regulation application and/or (as @Temp mentioned) been issued with a Completion Certificate?