Clitheroe Auction

The other day someone posted the link to the current plant auction at Clitheroe.  https://bid.gatewayauctions.com/auctions

I just wondered, has anyone bought anything from this particular auction and if so were the goods as expected and more importantly working.

It is 286 miles from me so although there a few things we need we are a bit loath to buy unless someone can vouch for the site.

We have had quotes for moving, basically a lorry load is £600 to Suffolk as it's not feasible for us to collect.

Having bought our house and barn at auction it's a method we are familiar with, but we would normally view first.

1 hour ago, Ronan 1 said:

Not familiar with this particular auction but use a few other big ones on a very regular basis.

What type of plant are you buying ??

we are true self builders and although we already have lots of stuff we still need loads.

Hubby is looking at diggers, wacker plate, power float, breaker (for digger), possibly breaker without (we sold ours a couple of years ago), nail gun, joist lift, power lift

We already have all the drills, cement mixers, dumper type things, but need lots more.

As we are going to work on it as and when we can we don't want to hire as we are too dependent on time off from work, weather etc.

We have a local auction, but they don't have much big machinery and it goes for stupid money for tat that often doesn't work.

1 hour ago, nod said:

I’ve had all sorts from livestock to machinery 

A very well run outfit I’ve been going there for over 30 years 

It’s about 30 minutes away from me 

lucky you, we wish we could visit to view.

4 minutes ago, LSB said:

lucky you, we wish we could visit to view.

I'd be very wary of buying any large plant without viewing, regardless of how good an auction house is they won't do mechanical checks on any of the plant only a brief visual usually by someone who knows feck all about plant and it's sold as is no garuntees. 

I have put some pigs through auctions and have been caught with a few but given we have between 300 to 400 items of heavy plant and a team of fitters it's not such an issue.

I'd try and visit before I bid on any big ticket items, then again you could be lucky but if not you could be very very unlucky..

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ronan 1 said:

I'd be very wary of buying any large plant without viewing, regardless of how good an auction house is they won't do mechanical checks on any of the plant only a brief visual usually by someone who knows feck all about plant and it's sold as is no garuntees. 

I have put some pigs through auctions and have been caught with a few but given we have between 300 to 400 items of heavy plant and a team of fitters it's not such an issue.

I'd try and visit before I bid on any big ticket items, then again you could be lucky but if not you could be very very unlucky..

that is pretty much how we feel to be honest,  also can't claim back VAT and buyers premium to consider ?

It's so difficult to find good plant at a reasonable cost.

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/01/2021 at 17:33, LSB said:

The other day someone posted the link to the current plant auction at Clitheroe.  https://bid.gatewayauctions.com/auctions

I just wondered, has anyone bought anything from this particular auction and if so were the goods as expected and more importantly working.

It is 286 miles from me so although there a few things we need we are a bit loath to buy unless someone can vouch for the site.

We have had quotes for moving, basically a lorry load is £600 to Suffolk as it's not feasible for us to collect.

Having bought our house and barn at auction it's a method we are familiar with, but we would normally view first.

Have you been in touch with your local plant hire companies. I cant vouch for all but places like Hirebase part of Grafton group, will often be willing to sell plant items to you. In the past we have had items from them that we have got really cheap, they often work off the principles of depreciation so once the item reaches a certain period it has a £0.00 book value to them so when they sell it, its all gravy from a balance sheet position, and you can often even hire the bit of kit you want in advance. We have also done a hire to buy arrangement with them so for example if we are hiring Tools or plant if we spend X amount on a single item they will write it off, quite handy when we hire pressfit tools and forget to off hire them for 6 months. 

I said it in another post, but if you can build relationships with local supply chain i think you will reap the rewards. 

On 31/01/2021 at 14:42, Cotswoldrunner said:

Have you been in touch with your local plant hire companies. I cant vouch for all but places like Hirebase part of Grafton group, will often be willing to sell plant items to you. In the past we have had items from them that we have got really cheap, they often work off the principles of depreciation so once the item reaches a certain period it has a £0.00 book value to them so when they sell it, its all gravy from a balance sheet position, and you can often even hire the bit of kit you want in advance. We have also done a hire to buy arrangement with them so for example if we are hiring Tools or plant if we spend X amount on a single item they will write it off, quite handy when we hire pressfit tools and forget to off hire them for 6 months. 

I said it in another post, but if you can build relationships with local supply chain i think you will reap the rewards. 

This is something my hubby was talking about, I will remind him to have a look around.

thanks for you help