Layout advice- especially home office/small bed vs second bathroom

Hi there! So glad to have found this forum.  We're about to start building an extension- simple side extension, open plan kitchen below, 2x double beds above. The question is- should we stretch the budget and aim to lose a small bedroom/home office and turn it into an en suite for the main bedroom, or just stick to 1 bath, 5 beds (one is a home office)? Essentially the choice is between

A) 5 beds (but one would be a home office, one other would be v small single, then 3 doubles), one bathroom (again quite small, unavoidable) and downstairs WC

OR

B) 4 beds, make the master bedroom bigger/5th bedroom smaller and make that 5th bed into an en suite. That gives us 2 bathrooms, downstairs WC, 3 double beds and one single bedroom.

Which would add more value?  I was thinking we might just view the master room and en suite as a follow up project if we want, or even if an add on at the end if we haven't had any unexpected budget overruns.

We've really tried for a plan C  to instead convert the existing bathroom into a small en suite for the extension bottom bedroom and convert the home office into the MAIN bathroom instead, so that we don't lose the space in the top double due to the need for the landing through to the extension, but I can't make it work. The landing just slices too much space off the new bottom double bedroom to include a door in and a door thru to the bathroom.Obviously this would be the best plan to add value and usability but seems like a no go

Based in South Cambridgeshire. All other thoughts welcome too!  I attach PDF (ignore the downstairs page 1) so you can see the upstairs in question. Best

17 A D 11 building control kitcher 3 site.pdf

Edited by ec362

I think this all depends on your usage, kids, how many, future plans. Make it fit fir your purpose. My build is only three bed (no kids, well grown up ones that visit) but a large en suite on the main bedroom, two other large bedrooms and a family shower room , one bedroom can be used as an office but has large double bed settee. If anyone else wants to stay the caravan is outside ?.

9 minutes ago, ec362 said:

Thanks. We have 2 kids, thinking of another. Mostly thinking of the value add/detraction if we were to sell

Difficult to say whether selling it with 2 or 3 kids will add more or less value...

• Haha 1

If you’re thinking about resale value, 5 bedrooms with one 1 bathroom is not ideal. You’ve also got to think about who your target buyer is, and what they would value more. Also the 5th bed will be quite small by the looks of things. So personally, I’d say having a decent sized master with en-suite, and 3 further good sized bedrooms served by a family bathroom, would be more desirable (and therefore more valuable) for resale purposes. However if you’re doing this for you and not for resale, then focus on creating the spaces that you need / want and not what you think someone else may want.