Building Control

Hi, first post so apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

we are 99% complete on our build project and only now is BC raising the position of doors to the loft room.

we have pinched a bit of bedroom 2 to create the stair way and a entrance hall / new door to the old 2nd bedroom.  The door to the loft room is at the bottom of the new stairs (the old door to bedroom 2) - if that makes any sense.

we are having FD30 doors installed and also linked smoke alarms but BC is saying this doesn’t meet Regulations.  We have no way of changing things now.  What do we do?  Can we appeal this?

B5C4DADE-8F40-4D77-962B-78683CA8D503.jpeg

2C5D3003-56AD-4994-A2F5-728395704CDC.jpeg

As per what @markc said, what is the issue that they are saying this causes ..? Is it the room accessing from the protected corridor ..?

Also was this a full plans application or building notice ..? Full plans they should have picked that up at plan inspection. 

4 minutes ago, markc said:

Hi, has the BCO stated what they have an issue with?

He emailed me saying:

“...how the door at the bottom of the new stairs was going to be positioned to separate the loft room but still leave a door to access to the back bedroom.

At the time I could not see an easy solution.”

we hired a building company to manage the whole shebang, but have lost contact with them since mid November despite a few bits left to finish - and sign off.  They submitted the initial plans etc to BC.

The BCO had visited site a number of times during the build and never mentioned this once until the very last moment once all the structural work was done

Edited by MarkB2610

Ok so what they are potentially saying is that the door from the bedroom has to access the loft access to escape. That could be an issue on the basis that there isn’t a door I expect at the top of the stairs ..?

If this was a full plans access and the BCO has just picked this up then I would be escalating it to their manager (assuming this is Local Authority BC..?) and also asking if it was flagged to the builder prior to start. If the company has designed this to be compliant and it is not, then I wouldn’t be paying any final bills and would be expecting them to resolve. 

4 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Ok so what they are potentially saying is that the door from the bedroom has to access the loft access to escape. That could be an issue on the basis that there isn’t a door I expect at the top of the stairs ..?

If this was a full plans access and the BCO has just picked this up then I would be escalating it to their manager (assuming this is Local Authority BC..?) and also asking if it was flagged to the builder prior to start. If the company has designed this to be compliant and it is not, then I wouldn’t be paying any final bills and would be expecting them to resolve. 

Thanks.  There is a means of escape from Bedroom 2 out the window and on to an extension roof.  That bedroom will have 2x FD30 doors from the main house.  And no, there is no door at the top. 

re the builders/plans:  the initial builders split in July and partner 2 took over from partner 1.  Partner 2 set up a new company - so I’m not sure who/how we can complain/claim to rectify 

Edited by MarkB2610

3 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

easy. screw a liner carefully into the opening so you only have screw holes to patch and then fit the cheapest fd30 howdens sell. half days work tops for a chippy.

Thanks... pre decoration it looked like this 

284033A8-6FD3-4B20-80DB-8B941A13C0BD.jpeg

1 minute ago, Dave Jones said:

take carpet up. stud to the left and red plasterboard it, then liner. all unscrewable after. days work tops, pout it all in take photo or get BCO out then take it all down.

pain in the arse but a days work tops so no real drama.

image.thumb.png.c93f9f344b5ad755904db5405bd9b7e9.png

Ah right, ok thanks!  A real PITA but worth it to get signed off 

11 minutes ago, MarkB2610 said:

Thanks... pre decoration it looked like this 

Ah - not impossible obviously but a bit more work than slapping a door in!

OK - might not be so easy to bodge a door in...

I personally would be investigating the BCO's involvement here, why was nothing said until now? What do you drawings show? If the proposed drg's are as you have now built and you have a BC stamp then raise this with him in as friendly a manner as you can.

I had something similar, they asked about it right at the end, nothing in the drawings but suddenly he wants to see particular hold down ties - I wanted to reply and say, "Sorry, too late, you've missed the boat", but this is not the best approach with a council worker who you want to sign something off for you!

Edited by Carrerahill

Hi all, thanks so much for the replies.  I pushed back to the BCO and he has replied saying that he is now happy with the set up ??‍♂️ So long as we make the fire alarm linked and that ALL doors off the 2 staircases are FD 30 rated

all in all a good result! 

Linking smoke detectors requires a 3 core and earth between each smoke detector with a mains supply to the first one.

alternatively you can just supply each smoke detector with a local supply and buy wireless bases for each to communicate.

7 minutes ago, TonyT said:

Linking smoke detectors requires a 3 core and earth between each smoke detector with a mains supply to the first one.

alternatively you can just supply each smoke detector with a local supply and buy wireless bases for each to communicate.

Yeah, got a sparky coming back to fit the extractor and the smokes.  Question, could the smokes be battery operated rather than hard wired?  Would that meet regs?