Manhole Drainage Plastic Inspection chamber 600mm vs brick

Andee

Hi all... so i couldn't see this question/answer in any searches on here...

my scenario 600mm plastic inspection chamber (IC) with plastic risers    vs      brick built manhole both with metal lids.  (650mm deep)

I've had contradicting advice that plastic IC's break when vehicles are driven over them and brick manholes are the the best way to go. 

The position of drain will be in the front driveway (hardscaped) for a residential dwelling which is a self build.  

There is an option to place the new drain further down the existing foul line which will be positioned in proposed soft landscape (non parking area)  but that means due to the  gravity fall existing drain, i will have to excavated down to a possible 1.1m deep. 

Look forward to hearing of your experiences and thoughts on longevity and cost solution for this scenario. 

Andee

Edited by Andee

The 600 plastic IC's will cope just fine with light traffic if you place a concrete surround around them circa 6 inches with a good lump around the lid . I have regularly seen these spec'd for use in light traffic areas and would be alot easier for you to leave a tidy job than brickwork unless you have some experience with brickwork and can bench the inside of it nicely to avoid and snagging or holding of debris that could lead to a blockage down the line.

Depth is fine at 1.1m if you go that route, anything over 1.2m needs a locking lid / restrictor ring. 

Quickest way with a ring set is do what @Ronan 1said and set the top with a decent concrete haunch. I always make sure they go down to below the level of the first joint so the top ring can’t be displaced.