Stuff Getting Hard to Get

Triassic

I’d placed an order for a front and back door before the latest lockdown. I’ve just chased up delivery to be told by the manufacturer the local installer has closed until after lockdown. It would be good if they have told me! Order cancelled, now to find a supplier who can!

Visited the builders merchant to order  a selection of red wood timber, que a sharp intake of breath - oh you’ll have to leave your list with me as it’s imported and I’m not sure if we can fore-fill the order, or how long it’ll be for delivery. 

Is this something others are experiencing?

Edited by Triassic

https://www.kbbreview.com/34044/topstory/post-brexit-chaos-rising-shipping-costs-and-import-delays/

There are a number of causes. These include a shortage of containers worldwide because of unprecedented demand, as companies looked to import extra ahead of the Chinese New Year. British importers ordered more as a hedge against the risk of a hard Brexit. And in addition, there’s a shortage of shipping capacity as ships are still mothballed worldwide from the first wave of Covid lockdowns along with their containers and crew.

Carriers are also reluctant to take bookings for the UK because of the congestion at our ports. Container ships are waiting at sea or sailing to the next port and calling in on their way back. Normally, one or two ships are waiting to dock at Felixstowe, but in one week there were 14 ships in a queue, and the port wasn’t even busy. The port has become a bottleneck, choked with containers waiting to be shipped or hauled by road, because there is no room to unload ships.

Some forwarders, anticipating post-Brexit chaos, refused to ship to the UK at all.

Edited by Temp

We are pre ordering plaster finish 

We normally take delivery of four packs each week Only two last week hopefully 6 this week 

While the government are paying people not work or open up 

This will carry on 

On 18/01/2021 at 17:58, Temp said:

Yes, everything temp said yesterday. Its a nightmare. Simply no containers available. Currently you need to pay 8-10 times the ore october rates IF you can get one. If your products are bulky releative to cost, prices are going to be going up big time. Ask me how i know......................................

Worldwide trade is coming to a standstill. Not going to be pretty.