Disguising an ASHP External Unit

Ralph

20 hours ago, pudding said:

I literally just finished doing exactly this, disguising my A2A external unit this week (plus radon outlet under there) and put the slates on this morning. Used left over cedar cladding and some old slates. Hopefully it won't kill the airflow too much. You can still feel a nice airflow coming through the vertical slats so dont think the COP is going to be killed from it. There are plenty of places selling stuff like this for a lot of money, so I doubt there's too much effect on performance.

k2RzcThh.jpg

rKhAM85h.jpg

I will be very interested to hear how this works.

Apart from the cladding, it looks to me like the heat pump unit is mounted too close to the wall to start with.

• Like 1

It's mounted on the wall brackets that are supplied with it. Not sure if I have a pic of it before I put the cladding around it. It's an A2A heat pump unit for the wall mounted air con units, if that makes any difference compared to the normal air source units discussed  on here? (dont think it does/should.) It's a Daikin system I installed, and with the app you can see the power consumption for each wall mounted unit. So far (a whole 5 days with cladding/3days with slate roof on), there doesnt appear to be any noticeable change in the power used (obviously it's very weather/temp dependent, plus the units automatically sense if someone is in the room and doesnt top up the heat as often if nobody is there).

Apart from increased power consumption, what issues would/could become evident?

• 3 years later...
On 22/01/2021 at 17:27, pudding said:

It's mounted on the wall brackets that are supplied with it. Not sure if I have a pic of it before I put the cladding around it. It's an A2A heat pump unit for the wall mounted air con units, if that makes any difference compared to the normal air source units discussed  on here? (dont think it does/should.) It's a Daikin system I installed, and with the app you can see the power consumption for each wall mounted unit. So far (a whole 5 days with cladding/3days with slate roof on), there doesnt appear to be any noticeable change in the power used (obviously it's very weather/temp dependent, plus the units automatically sense if someone is in the room and doesnt top up the heat as often if nobody is there).

Apart from increased power consumption, what issues would/could become evident?

Hello, I would love to know how you got on with the cover since 2021, and if you had any issue. thanks.

All good. No issues. I removed the vertical bit of wood on the left next to the wall earlier this year when I took it apart to clean the filters/remove leaves etc, which may have let in slightly more air to the back of the fan unit, apart from that, still running as when it was fitted.