Disguising an ASHP External Unit

Ralph

Now that we have most of the scaffolding down I'm quite pleased with the look of the house and I'm thinking that I don't really want a big white ASHP sitting against the dark cladding. I was under the impression that you were not supposed to cover the external unit as it had a negative effect on performance, colder exhaust air getting sucked back in etc. 

I've found these http://www.heatpumpcovers.com/ which claim to be tested and approved by Mitsubishi and others. They only seem to be available in New Zealand but I could make something similar from left over cladding. 

Any thoughts, good idea or not?

IMG_0164.jpg

BFB2.jpg

8 minutes ago, TonyT said:

any retrofit cover will kill the air flow to the heat pump and ultimately affect the CoP

Not sure that is correct, large louvres ! I would bet the area left open would be larger than the area within the plastic fan cover (basing this on looking at my ASHP).

or you could just paint it, get it sprayed/powder coated!

Edited by joe90

This company sells wooden ones.

They look comically expensive for a small wooden box.

https://ecoheatingstore.co.uk/product/air-source-heat-pump-wooden-guards/

I too would be concerned that they would reduce the efficiency.

Could you plant a hedge a metre in front of it? That would hide it but be reasonably permeable to the air and not surround it. Maybe even just a few bushes would break it up.

Edited by AliG

Bloody hell the large version of that is £772!  

I think as @joe90 says large enough louvres along with being open at the back should be ok. Weather protection is a good point. 

None of the manufacturers seem to offer them and I would imagine they would be super expensive if they did.

Does it create a microclimate where you can grow something interesting?

It will certainly keep moulds and bugs down via the airflow, and probably protect from frost.

Why not try some container-plants.

I suppose also it matters where it blows or sucks from, as potentially leaves could be sucked in.

2 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Does it create a microclimate where you can grow something interesting?

I contemplated an outside veg store cooled by the cold air from my ASHP but it does not run long enough to keep it a constant temp.

6 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Does it create a microclimate where you can grow something interesting

3 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I contemplated an outside veg store cooled by the cold air from my ASHP but it does not run long enough to keep it a constant temp

and the airlflow is very quickly disrupted.  This is why they can be sited in a dark, sunless area.

You feel hot in the sun, not because the local air temperature is much higher, more that you are absorbing an extra 800+ watts of power.

2 hours ago, joe90 said:

I contemplated an outside veg store cooled by the cold air from my ASHP but it does not run long enough to keep it a constant temp.

You have tooooo much time on your hands!!

1 minute ago, Pete said:

You have tooooo much time on your hands!!

Ah, but I am retired, finished my build and plan on growing my own veg as part of my long term retirement plan (currently shifting 10 tons of shredded bark to smother the weeds!).

4 hours ago, joe90 said:

And yes there are calls for it to be banned, chemicals and all that. The clay soil also needs to be improved so a mulch will smother seeds and help improve the soil (and it’s free, my neighbour is a tree surgeon, and he owes me a favour!).

We like free! I am retired also and next job is the garden having finished plastering today. May wait till it warms up a bit though. Just put up my bird feeder so that is sort of gardening? (Being outside!!)

• Like 1

I literally just finished doing exactly this, disguising my A2A external unit this week (plus radon outlet under there) and put the slates on this morning. Used left over cedar cladding and some old slates. Hopefully it won't kill the airflow too much. You can still feel a nice airflow coming through the vertical slats so dont think the COP is going to be killed from it. There are plenty of places selling stuff like this for a lot of money, so I doubt there's too much effect on performance.

k2RzcThh.jpg

rKhAM85h.jpg

Looks good. I had thought the airflow came in through the front and was expelled out the sides and back which might cause an issue with cold air being deflected from the side of the building round to the front. I now realise it's the opposite so that should not be a problem