How much space do things take?

I'm just trying to work out the layout of my utility room.

I need multiple consumer units, boiler (probably), ASHP, UFH manifolds, MVHR, washing machine, tumble dryer, storage, sink, freezer.

I just need an idea of how big all these things are physically and if anyone has any idea on the best way to layout the room.

See this hand drawn plan below.

utility.jpg

ASHP does not need any space.  Get a monoblock type then it is all outside, including any noise it makes.

Consumer units go on the wall just above worktop height, so can go above the worktop behind the WM etc (just not behind the sink)

WM and TD are both 600mm wide under worktop units so fit in a run of units containing the sink. One of them can go under the draining board if needed.  The cupboards and wall units above should give you storage.

It's a shame the top left door in your picture is not 600mm out from the corner then a run of units could go all along that wall.   Is it built yet or can you relocate some of the doors?

I would draw that plan up but connect it to the rest of the house, it may be the case that you don’t want it all in there, manifolds for example can go under some stairs or in a narrow cupboard as they sit against the wall so don’t take up a lot of depth. 

A lot of the stuff you mentioned is ugly so you will probably want a plant cupboard in that room, you won’t want it all on show. 

31 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

I would draw that plan up but connect it to the rest of the house, it may be the case that you don’t want it all in there, manifolds for example can go under some stairs or in a narrow cupboard as they sit against the wall so don’t take up a lot of depth. 

@LSB what he said .. ^^^^

Struggling with door positions here and windows as they affect the use of a room. 

As per previous though - ASHP or Boiler, you don’t need both. Where is the hot water cylinder going ..? 

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

Consumer units go on the wall just above worktop height, so can go above the worktop behind the WM etc (just not behind the sink)

Can someone in a wheelchair reach to across a worktop to a consumer unit on the wall behind? Part M is vague. If this is allowable I would probably put my CU in this position.

1 minute ago, willbish said:

Can someone in a wheelchair reach to across a worktop to a consumer unit on the wall behind? Part M is vague. If this is allowable I would probably put my CU in this position.

I can't answer for the English regs, but no problem in Scotland.

If there was an issue, then you would not be able to put switches or sockets above a worktop by the same argument.

3 hours ago, LSB said:

I need multiple consumer units, boiler (probably), ASHP, UFH manifolds, MVHR, washing machine, tumble dryer, storage, sink, freezer.

I just need an idea of how big all these things are physically and if anyone has any idea on the best way to layout the room.

Appliances

Widths..

Washing machine, tumble dryer, boiler - 60cm each

Freezer - 60 or 70cm but they get wider with the door open so care needed if there is a wall on hinge side. Add another 10cm for this?

Depth (Wall to front edge of top, doors may stick out bit further)

Washing machine, tumble dryer, Freezer & Boiler all need about 70cm. That is typically 60cm for the appliance and 10cm for pipes and wires behind them.

For servicing allow a clear area in front of the boiler. eg pretend it has a door on the front like a fridge at least. Flue means it will also need to be on an outside wall and correct distances away from opening windows and MVHR vents. 

UFH manifolds 

Width.. We have an 11 loop manifold that came ready assembled on a metal plate that's bolted to the wall. The plate is 100cm wide but needs another 10cm on one side for pipes so call it 110cm wide. 

Depth.. The pipes go into the floor with a gentle bend. The whole assembly allowing for the pipe bend projects out about 20cm from the wall.

Typically the top of the manifold plate is low enough that it can fit under a work top but perhaps unwise to put a sink in front of the manifold. .

If anything is going in a kitchen unit (or under a worktop needing support) then remember to allow say 20mm for the walls between appliances.

Consumer Unit

We put ours in a cupboard in our home office room, also in there the BT master socket, Modem, router, DECT cordless phone base station, TV distribution amp.

This also means any PowerLink devices (Ethernet over mains wiring) work well.

4 minutes ago, ProDave said:

If there was an issue, then you would not be able to put switches or sockets above a worktop by the same argument.

Yeh good point. There's nothing in Part M4(1) that even mentions kitchens and therefore worktops.

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

ASHP does not need any space.  Get a monoblock type then it is all outside, including any noise it makes.

WM and TD are both 600mm wide under worktop units so fit in a run of units containing the sink. One of them can go under the draining board if needed.  The cupboards and wall units above should give you storage.

It's a shame the top left door in your picture is not 600mm out from the corner then a run of units could go all along that wall.   Is it built yet or can you relocate some of the doors?

not built at all so can move,  the only reason I put it there was because the other side of wall B is my kitchen, because of cabinets I didn't want the door on that wall, but I thought I would like the door close to the kitchen, but guess 600mm is going to make much difference, the other side of Wall A is the dining area

Just to clarify a couple of things, this is a single storey build with no roof space at all, so no stairs and no void.

This due to planning restrictions on roof height.  As previously discussed we are digging down, but as the roof height at Wall C is currently only 1.85m high we are limited to how far we can go down without causing too many problems.  With digging down Wall C will be 2.215 internally. Much as we would like the whole thing to fall down and we build from scratch I'm not sure the LPA will quite agree having refused the knock down rebuild option and only agreeing the the class Q.

As this is a utility / plant room / boot room we are not hugely bothered by appearance.  The only thing that is not going in there is the DHW tank which will go in an airing cupboard.

When I said ASHP & boiler I still haven't decided which to have.  No mains gas, so would have to be oil or biomass.

I'm just concerned about some articles / comments I have read about the performance of ASHP and as the house is 240m2 single storey the whole floor space (except utility) will have UFH, that's a lot to be heated up.

This is the bit of the house around the utility room, also ignore the lines, that me thinking about wifi / cat6 

the big room is the family room, living by the big windows, dining to the left and kitchen to the bottom.

The little room in the utility is a WC.  At the moment we have an outside toilet which is really useful so this is the equivalent with some space for dog bath.

All drainage is along the back wall

image.png.94776d1c2ad718b953bafacae07af595.png

Why so many Windows and doors in a utility ..?? It’s currently a corridor - can you lose the wiring as it’s confusing and just post the wall layouts and make it a bit bigger ..?

There are no issues with UFH heating a space that size as long as :

- the insulation levels are good in the floor, which is common for any UFH

- wall and roof insulation is preferably better than BRegs

- the ASHP is sized to meet the requirement of a -5°C outside temperature loss and can achieve it within 12 hours

Other than that, it’s just a glorified electric boiler. 

Here is the layout with thoughts on furniture and dimensions.

This one only has one window.

Also, the shower in the toilet is no longer going to be there, just a dog bath, living on a farm with animals our dogs get absolutely filthy so I really need that.

My email has just pinged with approval of our planning condition discharge, this means that we can now get started after 2 1/2 years.

image.png.1b923911a22a18a23d55cd9282ff371a.png

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, LSB said:

My email has just pinged with approval of our planning condition discharge, this means that we can now get started after 2 1/2 years.

That is brilliant news !!

That makes more sense as a layout - if you box in the end of the shower area you would make a decent location for plant and anything else you want to hide as I make it 1.4x1.6m..?? Could comfortably get a 400 litre UVC along with a buffer, UFH manifold and the electrical panels. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PeterW said:

That makes more sense as a layout - if you box in the end of the shower area you would make a decent location for plant and anything else you want to hide as I make it 1.4x1.6m..?? Could comfortably get a 400 litre UVC along with a buffer, UFH manifold and the electrical panels. 

thanks, I love this forum, such helpful people and no constant advertising like FB groups

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

And I would move the door to the dining room left by 600mm so the run of units can continue all the way to the end behind the door.