Starting out/advice

Gaz711

Most electricians have a dim view of the short courses and their candidates have earned the name "5 week wonder".  The big problem is the course might teach you the regulations and you might pass the exam, but you will probably learn nothing about real practical sparky work.  It is as much about understanding buildings, how to route cables through an existing house etc to make wiring alterations, knowing what you can and importantly can not do.

The practical aspect takes time to learn, which is why without doubt the best way to learn it is an apprenticeship.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Most electricians have a dim view of the short courses and their candidates have earned the name "5 week wonder".  The big problem is the course might teach you the regulations and you might pass the exam, but you will probably learn nothing about real practical sparky work.  It is as much about understanding buildings, how to route cables through an existing house etc to make wiring alterations, knowing what you can and importantly can not do.

The practical aspect takes time to learn, which is why without doubt the best way to learn it is an apprenticeship.

At my tender age of 44 and being unable to get an apprenticeship at this age, what is the best advice you could offer me? And which trade should I ideally go into? 

6 minutes ago, Gaz711 said:

At my tender age of 44 and being unable to get an apprenticeship at this age

There are loads of people that have retrained via the apprenticeship schemes.

https://www.findapprenticeships.co.uk/adult-apprenticeships/

I heard somewhere that the majority of adult apprentices already have a degree.

Mate of mine was a policeman, took an adult apprenticeship in catering, now has his feet up on furlough.

Edited by SteamyTea

23 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I've used an electrician for minor repairs who told me he had done a short course like this which wasn't too expensive, as a midlife career change. He wasn't up to doing a new build and hadn't done advanced certification, but seemed to be making a reasonable living with easy low risk/stress work. Depends what you will be satisfied with.

Considering the way retirement age is going up it would make sense to train up older‘apprentices’ because at 44 you still have a lot of working years ahead but as @ProDave says these short courses fall well short of proper training. I think back to 2007 when we were building our last house and a chap who had previously worked beside my husband had started up his own business doing plumbing. My husband booked him in to do ours however when it came to the point where we needed him he was unable to lay all the pipe work and was only interested in fitting the bath , whb etc. My husband ended up laying all the pipe work himself, learned through watching and helping plumbers. A few years later he did a bathroom for a relation of his who we had a friend in common and it appeared he was still struggling with the pipe work as apparently he made a right pigs ear of it.

4 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Consider a full time degree course.  Gives you 3 years, and plenty of time, plus some cash, to try out other things.

What have you been doing for work until now?

I'm a production group leader at jaguar Land rover. However I'm due to be made redundant end of March. So hence the career change but will also need to make money to pay bills etc. Redundancy will give me around 9 months money.