Natural Swimming Pools / Ponds

Conor

@Trevorh that's the book I've been reading. 

We don't have a huge are for the deep pond and associated regeneration area, so I'm going for a separated layout with water pumping up from the deep pond to a series of shallow, gravel filtering regeneration areas, linked with bioswales and channels. We also want running water and small water features close to the hosue, and we have plenty of fall to work with, so win-win. A project for next year tho.

So we have/ inherited a pond with a stream running into it, I’ve been clearing desperately and it turns out that at some point it’s been used as a well for the farmhouse. The old lead piping is still there in places.

Half our roof also diverts through the pond. But the stream is dry in summer and runs fairly well in winter. Realistically any heating would be absolutely negligible given the flowing nature and at the moment it just clogs up with Algae and sediment running off the farmer’s fields. Considering the chemicals they’re using probably run through it too, it just seems like it’ll have to be ornamental.

Gratuitous digger pic. I definitely wasn’t stuck at this point. Definitely.

0cb89920-5424-460f-8817-3eaad1e817ce.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

I think most of the swimming ponds built in the uk and probably the eu use the Austrian Biotop system this is quite involved so would probably be described as a lot of filtering. They may well work but they are also expensive.

I used the airpump system championed by David Pagan Butler this  uses  airpumps around the pond connected to perforated pipe set into the gravel bed. The air pumps are run from a single 60w air compressor, this system moves a lot of water for little energy. The water quality has been excellent but its probably not for everyone.  I like the pondyness of it but then i like swimming in rivers 🤔

If this was 6weeks ago I would have reported no issues however there is currently a flush of algae although the water is still clear. This has almost certainly been caused by the accidental introduction of sticklebacks. The sticklebacks eat the daphnia which eat the algae. I am currently looking at my options for removing them. Any ideas?

1 hour ago, Elton said:

sticklebacks eat the daphnia which eat the algae.

you've answered your own question. The algae must go. No algae means the sticklebacks starve.

The best way to get rid of algae is with barley straw.  You can buy it in tiny quantities for high cost at pond centres, and even more expensive as a concentrate.

But if there is a barley field near' then, it is not far above a waste product.  An armful left by the balers will last you a year. Stuff it in a net bag and leave it in the water. Remove as and when aesthetics require.

There is a village pond near here where they throw a bale in the middle, and the ducks sit on it.

13 hours ago, Elton said:

If this was 6weeks ago I would have reported no issues however there is currently a flush of algae although the water is still clear. This has almost certainly been caused by the accidental introduction of sticklebacks.

Could it have been caused by nitrates concentration increasing due to the heave rainfall recently.

Farmers have a lot to answer for.

11 hours ago, saveasteading said:

The best way to get rid of algae is with barley straw

Never worked for me when I had a pond.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Never worked for me when I had a pond

I only have a decorative fish pond with 8m3 volume. It took years to stop algae (esp blanket weed) but there is none this year. Barley straw made a difference but more important i think was stability.....and lots of plants. Lilies especially keep the sun off the water, and absorb fish poo, and i remove all yellowing or excessuve leaves to compost.

Is this relevant to swimming ponds?  I think so if reed beds etc are part of the system.

On 21/01/2021 at 10:16, Conor said:

My OH that is slowly coming around to the idea sent me a link to somebody that basically built a glass house over a pond and converted it in to a pool. She's a much keener swimmer than me... Things could escalate from just a simple semi-clean pond!

these get mad hot in summer, stay warm in winter. and any length you want. might get you around any planning issues as well

31 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

My parents had a polytunnel over their pool.

I can assure you that they don't stay warm in winter.i

I can't comment about the water temp, but our polycarbonate tunnel throughout winter in the North was warmer than ambient temperature. I'll measure it this year, but we had strawberries  in April with snow on the ground outside🤷

1 minute ago, Jenki said:

can't comment about the water temp, but our polycarbonate tunnel throughout winter in the North was warmer than ambient temperature

There comes a point where low temperature renders something useless though.

Think having a shower, the bathroom may be at 21⁰C, but you won't enjoy a shower at 25⁰C (unless you are weird).

Same with cooking, a salad at ambient temperature can be alright, but too much above it and it wilts, cooking a chicken needs much higher than ambient.

I put swimming water into the latter group, needs to be 34⁰C or above. I hate shivering and goosebumps.

• Like 1