The Self-Build-But strikes again: this time lights switches,

ToughButterCup

1 hour ago, ToughButterCup said:

Pure genius. 

My mate has (built himself) a laser cutter : 4' by 2', massive thing. 

I'll whip the Scolmore cover plates off and get him to etch the plate above and below two of the switches ( the most often used). Then change one other switch to the red one that Scolmore already sell.

Genius Clive, genius. Thanks

I nearly bought my lad a laser engraving  add on head for his 3D printer at Christmas. I couldn't for the life of me think what to use it for at the time! I was thinking wood/leather.

Saying that I'm not too sure how plastic will fare with the laser...

1 hour ago, Mr Punter said:

Another thing you could consider (not sure if it would be possible in practice) is to have the two left most switches as masters doing a whole area, say, top one for all kitchen, bottom one for everything else, then have the rest of the rows for you to play with to adjust your preferred setting should you wish.

Thats exactly what we intended to do at the switch banks next to the front and rear entrance. On entry, one switch switches 'on' all the 5amp lights  either on or off. On - on the way in - off the other way round.  @ProDave mentioned it earlier last year - it would have been such a reassuring thing for someone coming home to an empty deserted house. Then COVID hit.

There's another feature that fell to the Self-Build-But syndrome.

Cant take joke, don't self-build.

PS, I suppose there'll be a way of doing that via WiFi. But thats for later.

Edited by ToughButterCup

4 hours ago, ToughButterCup said:

Hey... is there such a thing as glow-in-the-dark nail varnish? Too embarrassed to Google it .... 

Wait until COVID is over then take a torch down your local nightclub.

(Can't see it with 2 black eyes, mind).

For a serious solution, consider either trad Dymo Tape (which does come in at least 5 colours of Flourescent)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Compatible-FLUORESCENT-Embossing-Label-Maker/dp/B01M22VXXG

or the stuff the RNIB call "Liquid Plastic", which goes on as a liquid and then sets (in Orange and Black) (*)

https://shop.rnib.org.uk/rnib-tacti-mark-tactile-labelling

or you could even use the sort of "nipples" I put at the right spot on the back of a cupboard door to stop it hitting something, or on the wall where the handle with hit. El-cheapo from Amazon.

or if it is temporarily to see them, get a head torch

F

(*) Comes with large print instructions in case you take a few years to get round to it.