Raise washing machine - stud construction?

NeilScotland

Hi all,

I want to raise a washing machine to avoid some pipes and allow me to push the machine further back, and then build a stud wall and door to conceal this washing machine.

My questions are:

1. Will a stud type frame be sufficient (circa 250mm raise) to support the washing machine do you think?
2. Do you think it needs any lip on it to stop it moving? Will use ply as a base.

many thanks,

pics below, Neil

Would like to raise up and pushback to avoid these pipes.

670CE006-453D-4EFC-89AE-9A2112C3BE2B.thumb.jpeg.2cdb84a6ed6040fd4f4e72331aaf43bf.jpeg

Avoiding pipes to push this back. will then box in with stud wall.

5B67217A-CFA6-40C3-913A-B71C6DF531BE.thumb.jpeg.fe7f3eaf7e9ec6f4582e46dcbc2a064f.jpeg

Edited by NeilScotland

Just build a floating floor on top of the existing.

timber joists appropriate height to clear the pipework height, sitting on floor with plenty of fixings into existing floor and then flooring timber/ply/chipboard onto new timbers

Washing machine will only move about if it’s not levelled.

• Thanks 1

@TonyT - on the floating floor, how would you do that?

Would you build a 2 x 4  frame - and get extra long fasteners to fix that frame to the floor... then fill with noggins?  (so, short edge on the floor, 4" height). 

Or would you lay out the frame with the long edge down (I.e. 2" height) and double up. Attaching one to the other? 

I'm swithering best way - so keen to hear others thoughts? I need 80mm of clearance. 

It's a concrete floor - I have suitable fastening for that, but left over from a stud wall - so they wouldn't be long enough for 4" - but no problem to get some if necessary. 

thanks, 

Edited by NeilScotland

I would  cut the 4x2 down to the required height if you couldn’t live with just planting the 4x2 down straight into the existing floor.

I would build the frame and then angle screws at a 45deg angle in the side of the new frame into the existing sub floor.

belt and braces you could also pilot drill the 4x2 and use some decking screws through the top,  down through the the 4” thick timber and into the floor.

plenty of screws then into the new floor too.

• Thanks 1

We have a Bosch thats pretty stable but still moves a bit on our tiled floor. I'd use something to stop it falling off. 

Rather than build a platform just under the machine might be better to make a false floor over that whole area? 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TonyT said:

I would  cut the 4x2 down to the required height if you couldn’t live with just planting the 4x2 down straight into the existing floor.

I would build the frame and then angle screws at a 45deg angle in the side of the new frame into the existing sub floor.

belt and braces you could also pilot drill the 4x2 and use some decking screws through the top,  down through the the 4” thick timber and into the floor.

plenty of screws then into the new floor too.

Yes - I have special fasteners for that - that I used on my own floor (this jobs is for a friend).

They come already with plug attached. So you SDS through the wood straight into the (concrete) sub-floor - and then put the fastener through the wood, into the concrete, tighten and it's all good ? - saves a lot of time too.

Problem is, they are too short to put through the long end of the 4x2. I.e. a bit too short for 4". Theywouldl get through and then wouldn't have enough in the concrete. But I can just buy longer screws. It's no problem. 

It's the only way for these given the subfloor is concrete. 

thanks! 

2 hours ago, Temp said:

We have a Bosch thats pretty stable but still moves a bit on our tiled floor. I'd use something to stop it falling off. 

Rather than build a platform just under the machine might be better to make a false floor over that whole area? 

Decent idea, but unnecessary - the headspace will already be a bit tight (will be boxing the whole area in with a stud wall too)......

thanks!

1 hour ago, NeilScotland said:

Yes - I have special fasteners for that - that I used on my own floor (this jobs is for a friend).

They come already with plug attached. So you SDS through the wood straight into the (concrete) sub-floor - and then put the fastener through the wood, into the concrete, tighten and it's all good ? - saves a lot of time too.

Problem is, they are too short to put through the long end of the 4x2. I.e. a bit too short for 4". Theywouldl get through and then wouldn't have enough in the concrete. But I can just buy longer screws. It's no problem. 

It's the only way for these given the subfloor is concrete. 

thanks! 

You could if you want fix 2x2’ with the fixings you have and then fix the 4x2 to this. To save getting extra fixings?

• Thanks 1