Hi all,

I am about to begin the process of doing some major works to my house and I wanted some opinions on what you guys think of the design and if you think it is possible.

I am looking to both extend my property and convert the loft. I currently live in a detached bungalow on a street with a mish mash of houses. Next door is a two storey house, the other side is a bungalow with a huge extension and then mine sits very small in the middle. My idea is below:

A double hip to gable conversion, this will open the loft space up massively. Currently I have 2.6m joist to underside of the ridge beam, so I don't have too many concerns there. The space planned to use for the stairs follows the roof line up, the height restrictions would not be a problem for the 2m headroom requirement.

The area that I am unsure on is the extension. although I could add a nice extension under PD, I want to take it a step further and I don't mind applying for planning if I can achieve the result. I would like to extend out roughly 6-8m and then make use of the upstairs space as a master bedroom. effectively one big loft conversion when you include the current house. The master bedroom would have a glass gable end window with a nice little balcony (the beauty of south facing garden). My garden extends out massively, I have no problems with taking up space by extending.

I have attached a basic idea below (both options of roof pitch), which leads me on to the next area of uncertainty - can you build the wall height of the extension higher and decrease the pitch of the roof to allow more standing head room across the width of the new master bedroom or do it have to run from the current height of the existing brickwork?

My knowledge is very small on restrictions, so I could be well out with my ideas but I value anyone's opinion highly. Don't worry about budget too much but I'm interested to hear what you would estimate. If I have missed anything, feel free to ask me any questions. I tried my best while using Sketchup to create my first 3D house model, so the details aren't quite correct lol.

Thanks for taking a look!

2 designs.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/01/2021 at 09:08, ElliotS said:

Hi all,

I am about to begin the process of doing some major works to my house and I wanted some opinions on what you guys think of the design and if you think it is possible.

I am looking to both extend my property and convert the loft. I currently live in a detached bungalow on a street with a mish mash of houses. Next door is a two storey house, the other side is a bungalow with a huge extension and then mine sits very small in the middle. My idea is below:

A double hip to gable conversion, this will open the loft space up massively. Currently I have 2.6m joist to underside of the ridge beam, so I don't have too many concerns there. The space planned to use for the stairs follows the roof line up, the height restrictions would not be a problem for the 2m headroom requirement.

The area that I am unsure on is the extension. although I could add a nice extension under PD, I want to take it a step further and I don't mind applying for planning if I can achieve the result. I would like to extend out roughly 6-8m and then make use of the upstairs space as a master bedroom. effectively one big loft conversion when you include the current house. The master bedroom would have a glass gable end window with a nice little balcony (the beauty of south facing garden). My garden extends out massively, I have no problems with taking up space by extending.

I have attached a basic idea below (both options of roof pitch), which leads me on to the next area of uncertainty - can you build the wall height of the extension higher and decrease the pitch of the roof to allow more standing head room across the width of the new master bedroom or do it have to run from the current height of the existing brickwork?

My knowledge is very small on restrictions, so I could be well out with my ideas but I value anyone's opinion highly. Don't worry about budget too much but I'm interested to hear what you would estimate. If I have missed anything, feel free to ask me any questions. I tried my best while using Sketchup to create my first 3D house model, so the details aren't quite correct lol.

Thanks for taking a look!

2 designs.png

This is a very ambitious extension. I would recommend you consult a planning consultant first. They will advise what is possible and formulate a strategy to achieve it. You would be surprised with the things they can suggest (like applying for some things under planning and other things under PD).

They are expensive, but save you money in the long run.