Replacement Sewage treatment system

Peachy

Hi, new to this forum, hoping to find some info regarding a new sewage treatment works. We need a replacement system to serve 5 houses, one house wants a totally non electric system and refuses to pay towards an electric one. I have read conflicting reviews on the Biorock system and several companies do not recommend it. 

Any information would be appreciated. ? We would have gone for an electric system but are very concerned about noise from a blower/ pump!

Let them install their own...???

Biorock has a maintenance cost - I’m assuming there is a maintenance agreement with split costs for all parties ..?

Electricity usage is something like 50W so in a year that would be £15 a year per house for electric - are they aware of that ..??

I would not criticise anyone for refusing to have a blower based treatment plant near their home. The things are a menace and the noise level should be regulated. My personal preference would be completely non electric but when I investigated last year they really were only an option if you were fortunate in the site levels so you could rely on gravity. Without that you still need to install an electric supply for a lift pump to expel the outfall. 
those treatment plants with the blower on the lid are dreadful. It doesn’t have to be that way. We installed one in 2006 and we located the blower in a semi submerged chamber with the blower hose running through a duct to the plant. It was barely audible. If we can deduce the potential problem, work out a simple solution and install it just as a matter of course during a build, I can’t see why the lazy treatment plant manufacturers can’t do a similar thing. As it is neighbours all over the place are cursed with a constant drumming from badly designed sewage plants. 

If people can whinge about ASHP noise what’s wrong with complaining about treatment plants or, my other personal subject of intolerance, oil boilers.

50W? The blower on our plant was 80W for a single 4 bed home, population of six. What about a population of five times that?

15 minutes ago, Timedout said:

The things are a menace and the noise level should be regulated.

Is this on old units as you refer to a 2006 install..??

16 minutes ago, Timedout said:

50W? The blower on our plant was 80W for a single 4 bed home, population of six. What about a population of five times that?

Even lower now - Sekoh who do a lot of the units have pumps at 35W in the JDK range which are fitted to a number of the modern PSTP units. This is an example - 35W and 33dB at 1.5m which is barely audible when in a kiosk. 

https://www.mpcservices.co.uk/secoh-jdk-s-40-linear-diaphragm-air-pump.html

The JDK-150 fitted on the 20-30 PEq units (so probably suitable size in this instance) uses 115W at maximum pressure. 

This is all about design and layout - a properly designed and installed unit doesn’t have the issues of previous older units. In this instance something like a WPL Diamond would be suitable once the full load is known and they do them with remote kiosks that are virtually silent. 

21 minutes ago, Timedout said:

I would not criticise anyone for refusing to have a blower based treatment plant near their home....

Neither would I. And I have one.  Jezza, ( @Jeremy Harris ) of blessed memory on this forum built a little out-house for his.  Kind of puts 'smallest-room-in-the-house' into perspective. 

What's near mean?

Noise travels on the wind. Downwind, ours is silent. Upwind we can hear it if we listen hard. 

• Like 2

In fairness our Vortex was a bad design, blower box mounted on the lid that acted like a drum, but re located in ground is virtually silent. I did lots of investigation to find a non electric version but they did not stack up IMO. 

Yes, Peter, it’s written in all of our deeds that we are all liable for 1/5 of the cost of maintaining, repairing or replacing the system. Yes they are aware of the small electricity usage but are ‘green’!

I’m not sure legally we could tell them to get a separate one themselves. We also have an issue with another neighbour who delays paying the maintenance for months until I have sent him 3 bills and threaten to take him to court! Never again would I buy a house with a shared sewage treatment works!

We looked at the Klargester Biodisc but feel there are so many moving parts that may be an issue. If the pump on a new system  can be situated separately and under the ground then that may be an option Timedout.

If we can get our neighbour to agree!

Edited by Peachy