Scotframe

Charlotte

Hi, we’re currently trying to come up with a figure for self building so we can decide whether it’s affordable for us. We’ve noticed that Scotframe are very popular so we’ve been looking into them. A few of the house designs have caught our eye but most of the houses are much too big for what we’re after. Just wondering whether anyone has any experience using Scotframe’s architectural service? We’d probably have to alter  their designs quite majorly to fit what we need so just wondering if it might cost a lot to get those alterations made? 

Cannot help with the question but good luck and please do a blog so we can all follow the 'journey' with you.  I have heard good things about Scotframe.  They did the first Passivhaus in a town near us and the owners gave a talk about the process. they certainly didnt have anything bad to say.  Their only problem was finding stuff for the cleaner to do as the MVHR helped keep the house clean too!

• Like 1

I don’t know why everyone seems to think Scot frame are the only kit firm about. We originally asked them to price up our drawings for us but they weren’t interested and although they took the drawings they never got back to us, they are also owned by a big firm now so you don’t get the personal service that you will find with other kit firms. The firm we used were great and they even came out to the site to look at progress. They also did an erecting service at a good price which resulted in us not having to lay out over £16 k in vat  right at the start of the build.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, recoveringbuilder said:

they are also owned by a big firm now so you don’t get the personal service that you will find with other kit firms

We got quite a good service from Scotframe with a specific project manager to contact about everything but it was over 10 years ago now. It was when the bottom fell out of house prices and houses just weren't really being built. I imagine that they were short of work then. They probably have their eye on larger developments now. 

• Like 1

The most affordable option is to stick build with a local joiner or use a local building firm. If you are in Scotland easier to do.

I saved loads that way and the cashflow was to my advantage.

If you want speed and less hassle than a Scotframe kit could work well for you, but that comes at a cost.

On a personal note I was not impressed by Scotframe they didn't even come back to me when I was in touch. 

• Like 3

Hi we are on the final stage of a Scotframe build   The 2 points above are very relevant

we extensively modified a existing kit  the kit itself was extremely well made and we also ordered all windows and doors through them

as stated above the vat has to be paid upfront so that is a big consideration

the communication from scotframe  pre delivery was very poor but after the kit is delivered we had a scotframe project manager for any issues or queries  (Jamie ) who was excellent to deal with 

its a a very good product, but I would look for a kit manufacturer that will supply and erect the kit saving the vat 

and provide a better service to the average self builder

adam

1 hour ago, Thedreamer said:

The most affordable option is to stick build with a local joiner or use a local building firm. If you are in Scotland easier to do.

If you want speed and less hassle than a Scotframe kit could work well for you, but that comes at a cost.

On a personal note I was not impressed by Scotframe they didn't even come back to me when I was in touch. 

I went to Scotframe but they didn’t do extensions, so my joiner and I cracked on and did it. 60m2 done.  Saved loads

5 minutes ago, TonyT said:

I went to Scotframe but they didn’t do extensions, so my joiner and I cracked on and did it. 60m2 done.  Saved loads

Also not a massive point, but although your materials might have come from a large company, at least your labour costs went into the local guy's pocket, rather than the Saint-Gobain, shareholders.

• Like 1

As a very good alternative, I would throw fleming homes into the mix. I would have used them for ours but they don't do SIPS.  

However jad I been timber frame I would have chosen then. They erect also so no VAT outlay. 

If you look for @Redoctobers blog he had a house built by them.

If you're going to extensively modify a standard design you are as well doing your own design. Fleming also have annin house design service.

• Like 2

On 16/01/2021 at 18:06, recoveringbuilder said:

I don’t know why everyone seems to think Scot frame are the only kit firm about. We originally asked them to price up our drawings for us but they weren’t interested and although they took the drawings they never got back to us, they are also owned by a big firm now so you don’t get the personal service that you will find with other kit firms. The firm we used were great and they even came out to the site to look at progress. They also did an erecting service at a good price which resulted in us not having to lay out over £16 k in vat  right at the start of the build.

Thank you for your help, there aren’t a lot of kit companies in and around the area in which we may be building. We are keen to get a company with a local office and Scotframe is one of only a couple of these companies in our area. But we are looking at other companies in other parts of the country as well, thanks ? 

On 16/01/2021 at 20:54, Thedreamer said:

Thank you so much for your insight! Yes we’re located in the highlands. We’re looking into the idea of a local joiner building the kit as well. We’ve got local builders coming out in the coming weeks. Very much keeping our options open at the moment 

On 16/01/2021 at 21:21, Adam E said:

Hi we are on the final stage of a Scotframe build   The 2 points above are very relevant

we extensively modified a existing kit  the kit itself was extremely well made and we also ordered all windows and doors through them

as stated above the vat has to be paid upfront so that is a big consideration

the communication from scotframe  pre delivery was very poor but after the kit is delivered we had a scotframe project manager for any issues or queries  (Jamie ) who was excellent to deal with 

its a a very good product, but I would look for a kit manufacturer that will supply and erect the kit saving the vat 

and provide a better service to the average self builder

adam

Thank you for your insight! Yes I guess that is the issue with them only supplying the kit. It’s good to hear some of the problems people have had, lots to weigh up. Taking into consideration everyone’s points we’re thinking about getting a couple of local builders out to give us a price for them to build the whole thing. 

On 17/01/2021 at 01:16, SuperJohnG said:

As a very good alternative, I would throw fleming homes into the mix. I would have used them for ours but they don't do SIPS.  

However jad I been timber frame I would have chosen then. They erect also so no VAT outlay. 

If you look for @Redoctobers blog he had a house built by them.

If you're going to extensively modify a standard design you are as well doing your own design. Fleming also have annin house design service.

Definitely another company to consider, thank you so much for your help! 

10 hours ago, Charlotte said:

Thank you so much for your insight! Yes we’re located in the highlands. We’re looking into the idea of a local joiner building the kit as well. We’ve got local builders coming out in the coming weeks. Very much keeping our options open at the moment 

If you looking at that approach you can check out my blog here of what we did.

If buying materials direct, Caley Timber usually offered the best prices.

Just for record, I'm not a trade and we had no building experience before doing this.

• Like 1

I used to be a fan of Scotframe and I think the product itself is very good if you go for one of the Valu-therm products (there are a couple of small technical issues which are not very good details but overall it's pretty good) - however in the last while their pre-sales service has been far from acceptable, especially their engineer "service" which 1 year on we still have unresolved queries holding up the building warrant. If you do go down that route, I suggest using your own engineer to design and certify the whole structure and don't pay for that as part of the scotframe package.

The other thing that seems to have gone downhill recently is the accuracy of their delivery times to site

• Like 1