Stained Oak

nod

40 minutes ago, nod said:

Then Osmo Nothing seems to stop the water staining 

Same with my oak conservatory that faces South, nothing stops it discolouring so I have decided to let it go grey/natural, it will still outlive me ?. My front door that faces North and within a porch is as good as new after a few years. UV damage is my thoughts.

13 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Same with my oak conservatory that faces South, nothing stops it discolouring so I have decided to let it go grey/natural, it will still outlive me ?. My front door that faces North and within a porch is as good as new after a few years. UV damage is my thoughts.

My wife keeps saying the same 

“Why fight it”

The osmo that I’m putting on is supposed to protect against UV

image.jpg

Just now, nod said:

The osmo that I’m putting on is supposed to protect against U

Yup, that’s the one I used, and it’s not cheap,!,!  two full coats, lasted 18months (on some bits). Waiting fir the rest to “burn off” then going “ oh natural”. When I used to live in Shropshire there was an old Manor House nearby that had oak windows and doors, never had any “modern” protection, all were a lovely silver colour and in great shape.

I've also use Ronseal solvent based wood preservers on oak and it does stop it going black and slimey while still fading to grey/silver. At least on west facing surfaces. East facing are still brown.

Edited by Temp

We have an oak floor in our lounge - I am considering re sanding and re coating, I am almost certain we used Osmo wayback when we fitted it. 

Whilst looking around for alternatives I came across this stuff - it seems to have some good reviews, I have a short piece of Oak handrail to protect so I may get a sample and try it.

They do interior and exterior versions.

Wood Oils, Treatments & Finishes | Rubio Monocoat Store (rubiomonocoatonline.co.uk)