Rotting Windows/Rain onto door

jackcowdrey

Hi all,

New member here! I was wondering if anyone could please offer some advice for some potential solutions:

we are having issues with rain water coming down onto the wooden windows, sills and the door and rotting the wood. Could anyone suggest what could be done about this? I think guttering around the roof would be a solution, I don't really want to add a canopy to the door as I don't think this would look great.

Please see the images attached!

Thanks

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-13 at 18.39.12 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-13 at 18.39.12.jpeg

i think you've hit the nail on the head. Every drop is dribbling down the front all over. Lead aprons above each opening would look pants. A lead skirt  all the way round the roof maybe not so bad but would be like living inside a waterfall when it rains! Porch over the door maybe ?

A bespoke curved gutter (lead maybe ?) would be more than replacing the wood with a non-rotting material?

Thanks for the replies! 

Yeah I think a gutter is probably the best solution, but concerned about how much a bespoke curved one would cost! All the timber is treated, however the door every year gets extremely stiff and we're now at the point where we need a new one...

A small canopy above the door could work but I wouldn't want it to be too overbearing as it would take away the nice curved proportions of the facade and roof. Would that need drainage/ a gutter as well?

Here's a picture of the whole house, located in Kent :)

__Drone_Front.jpg

On 14/01/2021 at 20:05, ProDave said:

But wooden doors and windows should be stained or varnished to make them waterproof.  Getting wet is what they do.

Yes they should but that's a light colour to be honest, the suns rays react with the lighter lacquers "burning" it off a lot quicker than darker lacquers. The maintenance on light lacquers (should be) is to maintain them once a year or you will see them degrade a lot quicker and warranties voided. It will be in the warranty information supplied by the manufacturer.

The amount of water that these are experiencing would indicate that once a year at a minimum is required. 

Also visible external hinging, I would be concerned at the lifespan of this, considering the amount of water being experienced on them. 

521a7057ac67e2e5bd2f2128c41066d2.png

Edited by craig