Lay radiator on its side

tanneja

I have provisioned for a 1m wide x 1m deep x 2m tall cupboard as a airing cupboard for damp clothes that cant be tumbled.

We have the opportunity to put some forms of heating in there to assist with gentle drying.  Thinking of a T off from the central heating to a tiny radiator on the floor in there.  Could I get a conventional very small rad in there but lay it on it's side?  An alternative would be to snake some pipe hoping that has output, and have it on a TRV of some kind to call fro heat when open.  I would want to stay away from electric heater due to the moisture.  There will be airflow through the curboard to recycle the air.

You could lay the rad flat but it might be better on a slight slope so it doesn't trap air? or perhaps put a T branch in the pipe extending above the rad to collect any air circulating and put a bleed valve on top?

Valve

|

|______rad_____

|

• Like 1

I am not sure how well it would work, even if it was perfectly level, how would you bleed out any trapped air - perhaps fitting the flow and return diagonally opposite might help.

Surely just fitting a small rad upright would warm the cupboard enough.

• Like 1

In houses in the 1970’s the airing cupboards were fitted with heat loops made of basically a

long U shaped pipe with an air vent on the tee where it joined the main pipe flow. This would work in this situation - ask the plumber to put a loop around the outer edge of the cupboard or against one side with an air vent at the top. It could also be done with an auto vent so you never need to bleed it. 

• Like 1

Just bear in mind that anything off the heating system will only provide heat when the heating is on, as opposed to the traditional airing cupboard housing a dhw tank.  A small electric tubular heater might not be a bad call, maybe switched by a humidity sensor so it only runs when you need it?

• Like 1

Stainless towel rail and Duel fuel it with CH and thermostatic electric element.

I've bought stainless rails for £160. 1200mm X 600mm 

(As intimated above) If you've got MVHR just pop an extract in the space, doubt you'd need any additional heat.

• Like 1