3/4" Thread taps in WC / Utility Room?

Oxbow16

Hi

I'm going to be putting in a new sink and taps into a downstairs cloakroom / utility room. The sink is a reclaimed baby belfast, and I want some old taps to match. I've found some NOS pegler taps at a good price, but they have 3/4" thread.

Is this ok to connect to 15mm pipe? Will the flow rate be a LOT more than 1/2" thread? Any other potential problem in using these?

Many thanks

Some old taps were designed to improve flow rates on UK gravity fed systems so if you are mains pressure the flow might be too much. If you have a site supply you could jury rig up something to test them.

You can fit pressure regulators to cope with this but make sure they are accessible. I've had to adjust all of ours twice in 10 years as the flow rate seems to reduce over time possibly due to scale? Otherwise they work well.

A cheat would be to fit isolator valves somewhere in the pipes  to make changing washers easier. These could be tweaked shut a bit if the flow was too fast. Cheaper than pressure regulators.

• Thanks 1

I definitely like the idea of the isolator valves.  I remember in an old house the toilet use to make a hell of a racket when it refilled, and it was close to the bedroom.  So I turned down the valve to reduce the flow and it worked a treat.  

More generally, I've just been thinking about 1/2" vs 3/4".  I've been told elsewhere that if the taps are fed by 15mm pipe, the flow rate wouldn't be any different anyhow.  But if that's the case, then why are bath taps always the larger size?  Is it because they are usually fed by larger pipes?  If not, why aren't they all the same?

Sorry if I'm missing something blindingly obvious!

Cheers