UFH shopping list

vala

Hi all,

After reading much about them on this site I've now been in touch with Wunda to provide the UFH components for my first floor heating system.

The shopping list they've sent me is the following:

28971050_Screenshot2021-01-13at15_09_04.thumb.png.f16bc346a6a71be63c6b43224d441c59.png

Can anyone think of anything else that I may need to get quoted up for? A staple gun is being added to the list. Due to the non consistent joist spacings I'll be going for a pug mix system. 

Just check your pipe spacing is close enough to support future requirements, for example a heat pump needs 150mm spacing typically.

My bedrooms are at 250spscing and I wish if done them a lot closer, but it was 10 years ago.

I went with a different supplier and was a fair bit less (25%) than wunda, then bought all my staples and tools off eBay and saved another hundred or so.

Just checked the other document they've sent and pipe spacings are between 135mm and 200mm

1576849345_Screenshot2021-01-13at18_23_13.thumb.png.35e35c7c73512ee1bfb3d153888ac46a.png

I'll send them a message and see what can be done to bring the pipe spacings down. Aside from the pipe spacings does everything else seem ok? I will do a check online and see if I can get any of the components at a cheaper price but tbh at present its £1385.81 and I was quite surprised at just this!

1 hour ago, vala said:

will do a check online and see if I can get any of the components at a cheaper price but tbh at present its £1385.81 and I was quite surprised at just this!

Im not surprised as you have £850 worth of smart stats and sensors in there - did you ask for those ..??

And what are you stapling to if you are using battens and a Pug mix ..?? The staples go in to foam not timber. 

Your pipe spacing may be dictated by joist spacing on suspended floors, I ended up at 200mm upstairs because of that, but 125mm downstairs (screed over insulation and solid floor).

Anything tighter than 150mm spacing requires you to form 'lightbulb ends' which can be a little time consuming.

If you have to thread any of the pipes through the joists or structure, a multi-layer oxygen barrier pipe is way more do-able than an aluminium based pipe.

Is yours a bungalow by any chance if it's all coming off one manifold.

Mine was 75m² downstairs and I think came to about £1600 with a different supplier.

The bulk of the money is in the manifold and controls side of things and the pipe runs to a little over £1 per metre, so area isn't such a big driver in the price

19 minutes ago, JFDIY said:

pipe runs to a little over £1 per metre

ouch !!! Pipe should be 45-65p inc VAT, depending on coil size. 

Just checked and 82sqm of pipe trays, pipe, manifold and pumps along with a few sundries was change of £975 when I ordered from Wunda last. Add in auto actuators and controls and it’s adding another £250 all told. 

31 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Im not surprised as you have £850 worth of smart stats and sensors in there - did you ask for those ..??

And what are you stapling to if you are using battens and a Pug mix ..?? The staples go in to foam not timber. 

Tbh I've had smart stats for the last 5 years and just seemed the option to choose. Didn't really think much into not having them. Also I was surprised at the cost as I expected it to be much much more. I had a set up quoted with Warmup and that came to over £3k, hence being surprised.

Wunda have stated a minimum of 50mm insulation board but if we have space to go thicker then do so. So I'm aiming for 80mm boards which I'll sit on ply which in turn is held up by battens.

Edited by vala

32 minutes ago, JFDIY said:

Your pipe spacing may be dictated by joist spacing on suspended floors, I ended up at 200mm upstairs because of that, but 125mm downstairs (screed over insulation and solid floor).

Anything tighter than 150mm spacing requires you to form 'lightbulb ends' which can be a little time consuming.

If you have to thread any of the pipes through the joists or structure, a multi-layer oxygen barrier pipe is way more do-able than an aluminium based pipe.

Is yours a bungalow by any chance if it's all coming off one manifold.

Mine was 75m² downstairs and I think came to about £1600 with a different supplier.

The bulk of the money is in the manifold and controls side of things and the pipe runs to a little over £1 per metre, so area isn't such a big driver in the price

The reason why its now a pug mix system is due to the irregularities in the spacings for the joists. This eliminated the chance to use their boards with grooves and also their spreader plate options as they noted it would be very time consuming adjusting the sizes all the time.

It's a semi detached property and this is for the first floor. Once we get round to completing works on the ground floor another manifold will go in for that.

10 minutes ago, vala said:

The reason why its now a pug mix system is due to the irregularities in the spacings for the joists. This eliminated the chance to use their boards with grooves and also their spreader plate options as they noted it would be very time consuming adjusting the sizes all the time.

Have you spoken to an engineer about this ..??

You will be adding significant static load to the joists - potentially causing bending or cracking of the ceilings below if they are overloaded. Adding a 20-30mm pug mix will add up to 2 1/2 tonnes static load to the floor structure. You will also have to notch the joists to accommodate the pipes and this will further weaken the structure. 

Has all this been considered ..??

• Like 1

Just now, PeterW said:

Have you spoken to an engineer about this ..??

You will be adding significant static load to the joists - potentially causing bending or cracking of the ceilings below if they are overloaded. Adding a 20-30mm pug mix will add up to 2 1/2 tonnes static load to the floor structure. You will also have to notch the joists to accommodate the pipes and this will further weaken the structure. 

Has all this been considered ..??

Yes all been considered. I'm a carpenter by trade so all these bits did concern me as soon as Wunda offered that option. My structural engineer has done all the calculations and its all good.

• Like 2