Asbestos removal

LSB

We have a small part of our barn which has concrete fibre roof sheets, which includes some asbestos, not high grade.

We are planning on having this professionally removed and taken to a proper facility.

One of the quotes is much lower than expected, we have asked them about being registered and they have said yes.

I've now asked them to send me a copy of this as well of details of where they take it as I'm concerned it might be the layby in one of the country roads.

I've said to HID that I'm not going with the cheapest quote unless I am 100% sure that it is safe and legal.

What registration should I be looking for, I know where the nearest facility is which takes it.

I have other quotes which are considerably higher hence my suspicions, but we also have a tight budget and this wasn't included so is additional to our expected costs.

I'm well aware of the statement, "if it sounds too good to be true then it probably is", but on the other hand the optimistic side of me thinks that they might just be a local company that isn't expensive, as long as it's not the local travelling community.

I'm also concerned about security, will they use this as an opportunity to see what we have on site.

As you can tell I'm not happy, but HID want to use them.

• Like 1

Licenced waste carrier that can take hazardous waste, I think you can check here:

https://environment.data.gov.uk/public-register/view/search-waste-carriers-brokers

You need to do all that is reasonable and practicable to check it is legal. So record the emails/phonecalls that you have had to demonstrate your due diligence. 

I got an asbestos skip with lid and filled it myself, dressed like a nuclear scientist, got a “ticket” that covers its removal and that included the quarry it was being put into, copy went to BCO on completion.

• Like 2

There was a large variation in the quotes we had for asbestos removal. We went with the cheapest which was around a third of the most expensive. We paid £3850 for removal and disposal of 110m2 of asbestos sheets and £550 for disposal of roof slates which I removed.

Many organisations use the fear of Asbestos to print money.

Last big building we took down had around 8 tons of Asbestos cement roof sheets.

A word with HSE and we were told it was low risk asbestos cement, but we couldn`t flame cut or grind the old bolts off as these cause dust. We had to hammer the bolts through the sheets and place all the sheets in a covered skip for transport by the registered waste company.

• Like 1

We just had a garage demolished by a large demolition contractor that is approved to do asbestos removal.

Much as it seemed unlikely that there was asbestos there I paid them to do a survey. They surveyed the garage and did not find evidence of asbestos but when they demolished it they found some sheets buried underneath that they were suspicious of so they bagged them up and disposed of them safely just in case.

It seemed clear to me from speaking to them that although care is required with asbestos a modest amount of asbestos is not a large problem and should not dramatically increase the cost.

It might be worth checking what your local council offer too. I had some low grade asbestos roof tiles. The council collect a certain amount for free and then its extremely affordable up until a certain weight  (not being specific as I can't remember the weights now, sorry). It was worth me using this service as the other quotes I had were ridiculous. I removed the tiles with the help of a family friend who is a builder.

2 hours ago, joe90 said:

I got an asbestos skip with lid and filled it myself, dressed like a nuclear scientist, got a “ticket” that covers its removal and that included the quarry it was being put into, copy went to BCO on completion.

how much did that cost and do you know what m2 it was, ours is about 40m2 once I include gutters, ridge sheets as well as the roof sheets.

this is what we were planning, but by the time we costed the skip and the huge quantity of DPM as they wanted each sheet wrapped twice.

2 hours ago, PeterStarck said:

There was a large variation in the quotes we had for asbestos removal. We went with the cheapest which was around a third of the most expensive. We paid £3850 for removal and disposal of 110m2 of asbestos sheets and £550 for disposal of roof slates which I removed.

this cheap quote is £690 for 40m2 hence my suspicions that they are not genuine

Edited by LSB
change

5 minutes ago, Lets said:

It might be worth checking what your local council offer too. I had some low grade asbestos roof tiles. The council collect a certain amount for free and then its extremely affordable up until a certain weight  (not being specific as I can't remember the weights now, sorry). It was worth me using this service as the other quotes I had were ridiculous. I removed the tiles with the help of a family friend who is a builder.

They took away 2 sheets a few years ago, but when I checked this time they said that they no longer offer this service.

2 hours ago, LSB said:

this cheap quote is £690 for 40m2 hence my suspicions that they are not genuine

I paid similar money about 8 years ago for removal of an old garage that was part timber, part corrugated steel, part asbestos cement boards.  I didn't fancy doing it myself, so got proper licenced demolition contractors in.  They sent two blokes with a sledgehammer and chainsaw, in shorts and t-shirts, with a pair of gloves and sunglasses as PPE...

A couple of houses ago I removed an old prefab garage with the asbestos cement board roof, and I was able to take it to the local tip (recycling centre). They had a specific locked skip to put it in. It just needed to be double bagged. 

34 minutes ago, Gav_P said:

A couple of houses ago I removed an old prefab garage with the asbestos cement board roof, and I was able to take it to the local tip (recycling centre). They had a specific locked skip to put it in. It just needed to be double bagged. 

and me! But things have changed since then.

2 hours ago, PeterStarck said:

I would get a few more quotes for comparison because it does seem cheap.

we have requested, but are waiting to hear.

since we asked these guys for their company name and registration number we have had radio silence, that is after they only took 5 mins before to reply for each question we asked.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Roundtuit said:

I paid similar money about 8 years ago for removal of an old garage that was part timber, part corrugated steel, part asbestos cement boards.  I didn't fancy doing it myself, so got proper licenced demolition contractors in.  They sent two blokes with a sledgehammer and chainsaw, in shorts and t-shirts, with a pair of gloves and sunglasses as PPE...

scary

When we looked into doing it ourselves we were told we had to double wrap the skip and each sheet in DPM and then tape the joins, just getting that lot was about £250 and then the skip plus removal is another £600.

Disposal of everything has got much more tricky in the last few years, and any hint of asbestos makes it a lot worse.

Just the hassle factor meant we wanted someone else to do it.

I had an old 60s bungalow with asbestos cement tiles, with correct ppe on I removed them almost entirely whole, double bagged them and the local dump had a special skip for them was probably around 1,5-2 tons. 

Saved a fair bit I reckon. 

To spend on something else! 

13 minutes ago, Sandybay said:

I had an old 60s bungalow with asbestos cement tiles, with correct ppe on I removed them almost entirely whole, double bagged them and the local dump had a special skip for them was probably around 1,5-2 tons. 

Saved a fair bit I reckon. 

To spend on something else! 

when was this.

20 minutes ago, PeterW said:

@LSBJust made a quick phone call and for corrugated sheet up to 60mm profile it was £37.50 plus VAT / sqm so it would be £1,800 inc. VAT for that lot. That’s a reputable contractor and it’s done properly. 

we have requested 4 quotes, but everyone seems to be slow to respond at the moment.

except maybe the cowboys

8 minutes ago, LSB said:

we have requested 4 quotes, but everyone seems to be slow to respond at the moment.

except maybe the cowboys

Contractors are maxed - that was a call to someone I know in the trade and they I know are working 6 days currently. 

17 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Contractors are maxed - that was a call to someone I know in the trade and they I know are working 6 days currently. 

thanks for the update, I shall just have to be patient.

• 2 months later...
On 13/01/2021 at 12:26, joe90 said:

Hi Joe, how much did you pay for the skip, and what size was it. Thanks