Steam room - anyone made one?

Gav_P

I’m toying with the idea of adding a steam generator to our en-suite shower. I would need to replace the door and side panel with a suitable floor to ceiling ‘glass wall’ to make it an enclosure. Then it’s just a matter of fitting the plumbing and wiring for the steam generator kit. 

Has anyone done this themselves? Any advice? 

I'm planning on putting a steam room in, must admit I haven't devoted too much time on the how but was planning on tiling the entire enclosure. Not sure what the craic is with steam proof wall panels - another thing I need to look into i suppose?‍♂️

1 hour ago, LA3222 said:

Not sure what the craic is with steam proof wall panels

They need to withstand temperatures of 55°C and 100% RH for prolonged periods of time.

Similar numbers are used when 'rapid aging' paints and adhesives.

And you will need some sort of extraction in the bath room, but not in the actual cabinet.

Edited by SteamyTea
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Made several hundred of them.

Normal GRP will fail fairly quickly. 

What sort of steam generator are you using, will you need softened water?

I think La3222 just answered the question for me.

?

1 hour ago, LA3222 said:

I'm planning on putting a steam room in, must admit I haven't devoted too much time on the how but was planning on tiling the entire enclosure. Not sure what the craic is with steam proof wall panels - another thing I need to look into i suppose?‍♂️

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

They need to withstand temperatures of 55°C and 100% RH for prolonged periods of time.

Similar numbers are used when 'rapid aging' paints and adhesives.

And you will need some sort of extraction in the bath room, but not in the actual cabinet.

Rog. There will be an MVHR extract in the bathroom, where steam room is located. I see what you mean ref the working conditions for GRP, but if you tile rather than GRP then the problem is solved? (I am assuming nothing needs to go behind tiles other than tanking perhaps in order to seal all the moisture in the steam room?)

46 minutes ago, LA3222 said:

but if you tile rather than GRP then the problem is solved?

As long as the adhesive can take the temperature and RH, and you still need to put a lid on it.

Acrylic can usually take the temperature, why they use it for bath tubs.  Just use cast acrylic sheet, not extruded.

Why not just fit a sauna.  Easy wooden box with an electrical heater, not messing about with water (other than cleaning down).

46 minutes ago, LA3222 said:

There will be an MVHR extract in the bathroom

Make sure the unit can handle all the water that will pass though it.

Edited by SteamyTea

and you still need to put a lid on it.

Was going to tile the ceiling too.

Why not just fit a sauna.

I am. The 'bathroom' has a shower/steam room one side, sauna other, bath in middle.

Probably a bit excessive to have one, let alone both but what the hell, I'm only building one and I know they will get used a lot.

Make sure the unit can handle all the water that will pass though it.

Not something I'd thought about tbh. Going to have to look at the potential implications of this to make sure there are no potential clangers!!