What height hoardings is reasonable to protect neighbours from dust?

The party wall agreement says that at the back (where we are building a rear extension) we need a minimum of 1.8m high hoardings. The agreement does not specify what is to be done at the front. We are doing some internal demolition and will also demolish the rear wall for the extension. Neighbour is concerned that when we come to do the loft, the chute for the debris from the loft will cause lots of dust and has asked for 3m hoardings at the front. They obviously didn't read the party wall agreement, because if they had they would have specified this then.

There really isn't any heavy demolition going on at the front, so builder has based his quote on providing 2.4m hoardings at the front, mainly for security reasons.

Is neighbour's request that I pay to increase this to 3m reasonable? 

Edited by Adsibob

Whats the prevailing wind direction?

I ask because if you are in an exposed location with the wind predominantly blowing past your neighbour's  house  towards yours, then you're on stronger ground not doing anything abgout it..

If the neighbour won't shift from the notion of 3 m  high hoardings, then set the OSB ( I assume) base at a little over 600mm above ground level: job done. The bottom of the hoarding height was not specified I bet.

And fiddling about providing  another 600mm is a bit OCD innit......

The PWA can be a bit of a gravy train and you are the one who will be paying.

If both surveyors need to discuss this and draw up an addendum award it could prove quite expensive in fees.

Politely point out what you have said here.  Maybe get a hose on the stuff before you drop in down the chute.

4 hours ago, ToughButterCup said:

If the neighbour won't shift from the notion of 3 m  high hoardings, then set the OSB ( I assume) base at a little over 600mm above ground level: job done. The bottom of the hoarding height was not specified I bet.

I suspect if I do that, neighbour will complain that dust is coming through underneath. Agree my neighnour is OCD though!

11 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Tell them you will put a tarpaulin over the exit of the rubbish shoot, this is what is done in pedestrian areas. 

This is a good idea, particularly as tarp is cheaper than OSB. Actually, builder thinks he won't necessarily use a chute, because the shape of the house doesn't lend itself to this. Not sure i follow, but as all the loft work is happening much further down the line I'm not going to worry about this for the time being.

4 hours ago, ToughButterCup said:

Whats the prevailing wind direction?

No idea, though you make a good brilliant point. I'm in a slightly uphill semi detached, and this neighbour is my attached neighbour slightly downhill and north from me. It is only just a hill though, hardly any incline really. So if there is a northerly wind, they would be getting all our dust. Luckily for me though, according to wise folk at google the prevailing wind direction is "west-southwest". Brilliant point for me to deploy if they keep pestering me about this.

I hope not, as we are day 2 of a project that is due to last most of 2021!

• Thanks 1

Just give them notice when you plan to get 'messy', so they can close their windows.  Sounds like worry-arsing about what might happen without much foundation.  In my experience from renovation work, any 'dust cloud events' are infrequent and short-lived.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Adsibob said:

I suspect if I do that, neighbour will complain that dust is coming through underneath. Agree my neighnour is OCD though!

Just be prepared as this will be the start of it.

They will have something to say about every single event, whether a delivery, noisy works etc.

You need to be reasonable but firm from the outset.

Let them articulate the concern (e.g. dust) but don't let them dictate the solution - just say you'll do your best to address it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, redtop said:

2.4m set 600m above ground gets u 3m, then a bit of tarp along the bottom. Cost nothing. Then don't budge on other stuff that might cost u time and money

The problem is that the hoarding is meant to act as a security deterrent as well. Appreciate any burglar with a couple of tools could get through wooden hoarding, but the tarp at the bottom won't even require any tools to get through.

33 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

The problem is that the hoarding is meant to act as a security deterrent as well. Appreciate any burglar with a couple of tools could get through wooden hoarding, but the tarp at the bottom won't even require any tools to get through.

a couple of battens across will deter entry and support the tarp.