Fire Rated Air Valves for MVHR

Question is, do I need fire rated MVHR valves anywhere? 

I can't discern it from Approved Document B, but I guess it's in there. I can't find the answer here, but I guess it's probably here as well somewhere. I asked my BCO a while ago, he didn't reply. Before I try him again, I'd like to know.

Is there a simple answer? Do we or don't we? Are there rules of thumb? 

I don't have a direct answer for this, but I have two vents which go through a cavity wall which I had to put in as a fire stop, which leads from a vaulted ceiling into the loft space, and I put fire rated valves on these to maintain the fire protection, it seemed a sensible thing to do. I think its more about maintaining any existing fire protection

• Thanks 1

My specific concerns regard the air valves in the downstairs rooms (lounge, kitchen/dining, study) that have habitable rooms above (bedrooms). I really should go back to the BCO but he's been hugely vague over most things and as this will be outside of his sphere of expertise I'd like to be able to work it out for myself.

15 hours ago, Russdl said:

I asked my BCO a while ago, he didn't reply. Before I try him again, I'd like to know.

I tend to find actual 'answers' from professionals to be very difficult to extract nowadays. They tend to be vague at best. I suspect this may in part be due to the fallout from Grenfel and not wanting to open themselves to potential accountability for something down the road. Not great, but seems to be the world we live in now.

I too have pondered this issue. I decided that I'm just going to get some intumescent stuff - roll or something to wrap around the neck of all penetrations through the floor/ceiling, including soil pipes etc just as a personal belts and braces action. I couldn't find any specific guidance when I searched previously.

• Thanks 1