Onmie Torfloor RdB underfloor heating

Seeoda

Has anyone tried acoustic grooved chipboard underfloor heating like the Onmie TorFloor RdB? I am interested in installing it as a retrofit in an upstairs en-suite. It is for a retrofit in a newish house with web joists so I presume there will be space to fit all the piping. I am keen to reduce sound transmission from upstairs to downstairs and thus I am interested in this acoustic option. I am a bit sceptical though. The idea that it replaces the sub floor is appealing as I want to lose as little height as possible but will it result in a creaky floor? How can a series of panels not leak sound to below, even if they have mass loaded vinyl, given all the joints? I guess it is only reduce impact sounds rather than eliminate all sound? I guess such an underfloor heating won’t provide massive amounts if heat?

On 11/01/2021 at 21:29, Seeoda said:

Has anyone tried acoustic grooved chipboard underfloor heating like the Onmie TorFloor RdB? I am interested in installing it as a retrofit in an upstairs en-suite. It is for a retrofit in a newish house with web joists so I presume there will be space to fit all the piping. I am keen to reduce sound transmission from upstairs to downstairs and thus I am interested in this acoustic option. I am a bit sceptical though. The idea that it replaces the sub floor is appealing as I want to lose as little height as possible but will it result in a creaky floor? How can a series of panels not leak sound to below, even if they have mass loaded vinyl, given all the joints? I guess it is only reduce impact sounds rather than eliminate all sound? I guess such an underfloor heating won’t provide massive amounts if heat?

No, but I did get a quote for it. Very expensive, and not worth it in my opinion. When you say sound transmission, do you mean impact sound or airborne.

For impact sound, cheaper options which will work similarly well to the TorFloor RdB, though is more labour, is to lay your structural floor chipboard or ply directly onto the joists, then 6mm rubber matting from a company such as SoundStop.co.uk, then a slim underfloor heating system such as LoPro which is only 15mm thick. If you used something like plywood for your structural floor you could go as thin as 18mm making the whole thickness of your floor 39mm before you add your finished floor material, which can affix directly onto the LoPro. 

For airborne sound you can fill the void between the joists with failry dense mineral wool, that will help with sound insulation.

More costly sound insulation that can be substituted for the 6mm rubber matting is something like Cellecta Screedboard 28 but this is heavy and expensive. It comes in thinner thicknesses as well, check their site. That is mainly for impact sound, but i laid it in a ground floor flat, together with flanking strips, and it muffled airborne sound coming up from the basement flat below us, so it will help a bit with airborne sound.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I might do that. Omnie said that my project is too small for them to be interested. I understand the thicker the piping, the greater the power and efficiency of the system. The lo pro has only 10mm piping but the Torfloor has 12mm. Not sure if it enough to work about.