Radiator manifolds

SimonD

I'm starting to design my central heating system and looking at using manifolds for radiator supplies. This type of system is new to me. On initial research I've come across Emmeti and Maincor as two main suppliers of the manifolds. I'm installing a gas boiler but will most probably be upsizing the rads for future ASHP (if life permits I may get my ticket for heat pumps later this year but it'll be a few years until any realistic installation in my home). All heating is to be through rads, no UFH.

The principles of the system I get but can someone provide some hints based on their experience of anything I need to watch out for, products/suppliers to select/avoid, potential snags and any other pertinent insider info on system design and installation?

One question in particular is that I'll be having two main zones, upstairs and downstairs, and with the number of rooms, I'm going to be at or beyond 12 ports. Any issues splitting to the main zones between two smaller manifolds? I guess they're just wired to the same control box?

And also, would you simply use a feed and return on the circuit for a thermostatically controlled room with multiple radiators?

Many thanks.

Hi Simon. When i did my daughters about a year ago, it was a full refurb, but they were living there. I fitted a gas boiler with the usual single flow and return. I split the flow into 2 and ran each flow to a (bugger, cant remember the name) electronic valve. from each of these i ran 22mm flow pipes to a manifold that i made myself from copper pipe, lever valves etc. 22mm in, and 15mm out. each of the outs had the ability to be manually turned off. I ran one of the manifolds to the understairs cupboard downstairs, and one to a bedroom upstairs that was eventually hidden behind a wardrobe with a removable panel. I made sure that all the feeds to my rads were less than 6 metres away from my manifolds. This allowed me to work on the house, room by room, and anytime i wanted to add a radiator, i did not have to turn off, or drain down. I then by-passed the built in clock on the boiler, and fitted a three way timer. Water, Heating upstairs, Heating downstairs. To be honest it works fantastically, and in the future for decoration, alterations etc, each rad can be isolated and removed, without the need to drain down, or switch off.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TonyT said:

I made a manifold on my original heating system using tectite 

https://www.pegleryorkshire.co.uk/EN/Brands/Tectite/Tectite_Classic/Manifolds/product/TM81_Manifold

they simply push into each other to get the number of outlets, single versions are available too, this was 14 years ago and worked perfectly.

Brilliant, thanks for the heads up on the actual product. Looks like such as simple way to make up a bespoke manifold.

6 hours ago, Big Jimbo said:

Hi Simon. When i did my daughters about a year ago, it was a full refurb, but they were living there. I fitted a gas boiler with the usual single flow and return. I split the flow into 2 and ran each flow to a (bugger, cant remember the name) electronic valve. from each of these i ran 22mm flow pipes to a manifold that i made myself from copper pipe, lever valves etc. 22mm in, and 15mm out. each of the outs had the ability to be manually turned off. I ran one of the manifolds to the understairs cupboard downstairs, and one to a bedroom upstairs that was eventually hidden behind a wardrobe with a removable panel. I made sure that all the feeds to my rads were less than 6 metres away from my manifolds. This allowed me to work on the house, room by room, and anytime i wanted to add a radiator, i did not have to turn off, or drain down. I then by-passed the built in clock on the boiler, and fitted a three way timer. Water, Heating upstairs, Heating downstairs. To be honest it works fantastically, and in the future for decoration, alterations etc, each rad can be isolated and removed, without the need to drain down, or switch off.

Thanks @Big Jimbo for this. That sounds like the ideal solution for my layout so I hope you don't mind if I steal it! To work on each room one by one is exactly how I'd envisaged doing mine. It would also allow me to first fix all the pipe from the manifold, install all my ground floor insulation and subfloor knowing there aren't any underfloor joints within the system and then commision each one room by room - it'll make life a lot easier.

I know everything is not always about price, but looking at the prices of the complete manifolds, they do cost a tidy sum. DIY manifold with TRVs does seem like a very sensible way to go and I have to admit I hadn't thought about that until now. Great stuff. ?

On 18/01/2021 at 09:43, Big Jimbo said:

Steal away fella. A plumber friend told me to keep the feeds from the manifold to the rads to under 6mt each. Best of luck.

Nice one, thanks. Okay, the 6m limit will means some careful positioning of the manifold, no wonder it's recommended they're installed as close to the centre of the house as possible.

• Like 1