Running external supplies (borehole and TP)

SuperJohnG

I have to provide power to the treatment plant and borehole pump. 

I'm just planning out the plant room. For the SWA for the borehole and treatment plant supplies. Is it best just to run a small electrical duct out next to the soil pipe (that goes to TP) and water duct?  Then just run the SWA in that? 

Just for clarity in case anyone miss reads that.  Electrical cables in BLACK electrical ducting, Water pipes in BLUE water ducting.

If you only need short lengths, I found ebay a good place to buy short "end of reel" lengths rather than having to buy a load you may never use up.

Just now, ProDave said:

Just for clarity in case anyone miss reads that.  Electrical cables in BLACK electrical ducting, Water pipes in BLUE water ducting.

If you only need short lengths, I found ebay a good place to buy short "end of reel" lengths rather than having to buy a load you may never use up.

Don't some Scots DNOs insist on red ducting for electrical?

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

Yes I have heard that, but not experienced it personally.

I do know SSE flatly refused to insert their cable into the bit of blue MDPE the builder had thoughtfully left for them on one job.

2 minutes ago, ProDave said:

@ProDave Miss reads what? (was there another post?) 

But yes just run a small black duct next to each individual main duct or pipe going to those services. 

I.e. I have a 100mm water duct going to borehole, I'll run a small duct next to it for the supply cable which comes up in the same place in plant room. 

Same for TP, but obviously that's a soil pipe.

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

My DNO has given me red ducting yes! Its onky around 50mm too. For the last 20m of LV cable to come into house. 

27 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Yes I have heard that, but not experienced it personally.

I do know SSE flatly refused to insert their cable into the bit of blue MDPE the builder had thoughtfully left for them on one job.

No wonder, I nearly killed myself a few years back in a farm yard when I started to cut through a bit of blue alky pipe and found a live cable inside, something made me stop and check but it could have been someone younger?

Edited by Gus Potter
typos.. left handed!
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gus Potter said:

No wonder, I nearly killed myself a few years back in a farm yard when I started to cut through a bit of blue alky pipe and found to find a live cable inside, something made me stop and check but it could have been someone younger?

I know somebody who's just run an oil line underground...in green hose pipe! ?

(No it wasn't me!)

• Like 1

Help ma boab, Onoff, that reminds me of a post while ago where some poor sole had their house flooded with heating oil when the old tank was not sealed and the oil delivery driver filled up the old tank by mistake!

Can't find the thread.

1 hour ago, Gus Potter said:

No wonder, I nearly killed myself a few years back in a farm yard when I started to cut through a bit of blue alky pipe and found a live cable inside, something made me stop and check but it could have been someone younger?

?? I did that last year - found a piece of waste pipe buried with a cable in it and we went through every breaker to check it was off... it wasn’t ..!!

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Gus Potter said:

Help ma boab, Onoff, that reminds me of a post while ago where some poor sole had their house flooded with heating oil when the old tank was not sealed and the oil delivery driver filled up the old tank by mistake!

Can't find the thread.

There was a site I'm aware of where they switched from oil to gas. Boiler room was underground. The old old tanks got ripped out, new gas boilers installed. The plant room was tarted up, everything was commissioned and running like clockwork.

What somebody had forgotten to do was cancel the bulk oil delivery. The filling valves had been left in situ, above ground in the plant room wall. The oil pipes had just been cut off down in the plant room but not capped. 

All was good until the oil tanker turned up and made its delivery at silly o'clock in the morning. When the gas boilers came on they were greeted with a boiler room full of oil vapour...

I've known a guy involved with it for 20 years now. Not his fault it happened and he's a sh!t hot oil and gas engineer. Unfortunately because of his surname he's forever been known as "Bomber" Harris. I was introduced to him as Bomber, took me probably 5 years to know his real name. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, SuperJohnG said:

So does anyone know the answer to the original question?  Whats the norm with running cables out to these items. Cable in duct through slab?  Then juts adjacent to the related duct/ soil pipe?  

Are you talking outside now?

I just ran SWA cable buried in the ground next to the drainage pipes to the treatment plant.  Why dig a separate trench when it can go in the same one as the drain pipes?  they come into the house in different places so the SWA just branches off from the drain pipe and in through it's own duct and up right under the consumer unit where the SWA is glanded into the case of the CU.

If I had a borehole I would have done the same, it's cable would have been SWA buried direct entering through the same route.

The SWA is buried direct in the ground but does pass through ducting under through the foundations and up under the floor, with the duct sealed where it emerges.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SuperJohnG said:

So does anyone know the answer to the original question?  Whats the norm with running cables out to these items. Cable in duct through slab?  Then juts adjacent to the related duct/ soil pipe?  

It's a no brainer for me. Run in duct, even SWA. Darn sight easier to replace/upgrade later especially where the capable goes through a slab. If a control cable running alongside mains then just put it in a smaller duct within the big duct. You will need to consider how to form an air / gas tight seal where the cable comes up out of the duct into the house. Some favour expanding foam then silicone. I prefer this as it's "re enterable".

IMG_20210110_101317250.thumb.jpg.9cb363b9e66ea01a79206e15fcedea4a.jpg

The last two ducted services I've run, new water main and new supply to gates, I've had to core through an existing slab. A mission in both cases! 

3 minutes ago, Onoff said:

You will need to consider how to form an air / gas tight seal where the cable comes up out of the duct into the house. Some favour expanding foam then silicone.

I use a plastic bag and then inject the foam into that so it can be pulled out at a later date, and then cheap LMN silicone over the top. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

Are you talking outside now?

I just ran SWA cable buried in the ground next to the drainage pipes to the treatment plant.  Why dig a separate trench when it can go in the same one as the drain pipes?  they come into the house in different places so the SWA just branches off from the drain pipe and in through it's own duct and up right under the consumer unit where the SWA is glanded into the case of the CU.

If I had a borehole I would have done the same, it's cable would have been SWA buried direct entering through the same route.

The SWA is buried direct in the ground but does pass through ducting under through the foundations and up under the floor, with the duct sealed where it emerges.

Yes. I was all along. Possibly hadn't articulated that. Makes perfect sense actually bringing it up right below the CU. Inwas going to bring it up the other side of the room just to group ducts. 

Thanks.