The frustrations of on line ordering (rant)

I am trying to buy an island cooker hood.  This is turning into a frustrating waste of time.

First attempt, a direct appliance website.  Yes they have one that looks okay and reasonably priced.  Add it to my basket.  go to checkout. It only gives me one option for delivery at £59.99.  According to their delivery information I should be able to get "1 man delivery 5 working days" to the Highlands for £14.99  So I phone them.  "That item is 2 man delivery and £59.99 due to it's size" and no amount of persuading would convince them that a cooker hood can be lifted by one man.  They won't get the order on principle.

Next attempt the big orange shed.  They have one very similar very similar price.  So I try and buy one.  Add it to the basket. go to checkout.  Get part way through and confronted with "We only have 240 of this in stock. Please choose one of the following options:  Remove it from your basket. Add to your wish list for later"  Can't get through to them on the phone.

Off to find a brick wall to bang my head against which will be more productive use of my time.

Plenty out there at lottery winner prices which of course is not me.

7 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

Did you try Appliances Direct Dave? I know that Ian was unimpressed be I got a cracker island hood at sensible money and they were happy to deliver to BT reasonably.

I was trying not to name names.  they are the ones that want £59.99 for a 2 man delivery of a cooker hood.

6 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Any chance of having it delivered to someone else and getting it shipped via DHL etc ..? 

Apart from paying for 2 lots of delivery and putting someone to a great deal of trouble, it would have the wrong name on the invoice so I would not be able to claim the VAT back.  and I bet they would still call it a 2 man delivery which would be £19.99 for England.

I will have another go at phoning the orange shed tomorrow.

I have found the B@Q website the worst I have ever come across.

Dave, deliver it to me and I will pop it up to you ??????? (sorry can’t, lockdown?‍♂️)

Edited by joe90

Do a Google search for the particular hood you want and select the shopping option at the top of the page and see who else has it in stock and then go through the list and see what one will deliver and not try to rip you off too much.

41 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

Do a Google search for the particular hood you want and select the shopping option at the top of the page and see who else has it in stock and then go through the list and see what one will deliver and not try to rip you off too much.

The trouble with that is at my price point it is "own brand" territory, even though they may look identical.  I am not in the Bosch or Meile category.

Anyway I tried again (having calmed down thanks to dinner and wine) and tried again on the big orange DIY shop website and this time it went through with £10 delivery.  I was keen to use the big orange shop as Father Christmas sent me a £50 voucher and I could not think of much else to spend it on.

This will probably be the last item on my VAT claim which I will be posting shortly.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

How about Appliances Online? My last washing machine took 22 hours from click to doorstep delivery.

Here are their cooker hoods https://ao.com/cooking/cooker-hoods-and-extractor-fans/?mmref=cooking|built_in_cooking|Cookers Hoods|8_4_3

They only do "known brands" and yes they gave us a great price on a Fridge Freezer, but their cheapest known brand Island cooker hood is 2.5 times the price of the "own brand" from the big orange shop.

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

They only do "known brands" and yes they gave us a great price on a Fridge Freezer, but their cheapest known brand Island cooker hood is 2.5 times the price of the "own brand" from the big orange shop.

I clocked some "unbranded" Belling hoods at under £100. The branded options are outrageous prices for such a simple device. I assume they get away with it because people loose their heads when speccing a new kitchen.

9 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

I clocked some "unbranded" Belling hoods at under £100. The branded options are outrageous prices for such a simple device. I assume they get away with it because people loose their heads when speccing a new kitchen.

No cheap Island hoods though.

• 3 weeks later...

So my cooker hood has arrived but not without a twist.

I was given a provisional delivery date when I ordered and was told the courier would contact me.

On Monday I received a phone call from the courier telling me it would be delivered on Friday and the driver would phone me an hour before delivery.

I was just putting my boots and coat on this morning to go out to do a job, and the door bell rang,  there was the van with my cooker hood 2 days early and no phone call.

What was the point of booking a delivery for a particular date to be sure you are in and then delivering it early where 5 minutes later I would have been out?

• Sad 1