Hi - I recently came across this platform and was interested to read some of the content.  I have been involved in high performance building fabric solutions for over 30 years and have an inherent interest in low carbon building specifically off-site manufactured building systems together with low energy window and door solutions.  I am looking forward to reading further contributions and hopefully providing some useful content. :-)

Excellent. Welcome.

In terms of self-building (rather than marketing), how might low carbon materials help us in terms of improved performance and reduced cost?

Some of us have built houses with quite large areas of glass (in my case Gaulhoffer low emissivity triple glazing). How might low carbon materials improve performance and reduce price?

5 hours ago, LowEJas said:

Hi - I recently came across this platform and was interested to read some of the content.  I have been involved in high performance building fabric solutions for over 30 years and have an inherent interest in low carbon building specifically off-site manufactured building systems together with low energy window and door solutions.  I am looking forward to reading further contributions and hopefully providing some useful content. :-)

Welcome,

One of my sons did briefly flirt with the idea of doing an Architecture degree and one of the courses offered had a specialty in off site manufacturing, however he eventually decided to do Materials Science instead.

Would be interested to know why you think the big house builders in the UK haven't really adopted off site manufacturing in a big way? It is a mortgage issue?

Edited by Temp

21 hours ago, ToughButterCup said:

In terms of self-building (rather than marketing), how might low carbon materials help us in terms of improved performance and reduced cost?

What an odd question.

First define Low Carbon? Is it the embodied energy, multiplied by the energy carbon intensity

Now Improved Performance? Is it the reduced energy use for the building, which may be dependant on the energy source carbon intensity.