Broken Fan on ASHP - Dimplex A16M 16kW

Siggles

Hi, I moved in to a property 4 months ago with one of these ASHP - a Dimplex 16kW A-class High Temp Inverter A16M. The installation is just over 4 years old but it was supplied and fitted by a company - Ecotec, that no longer exist.

I called in a third party when the fan started making noises and now I have to go out and manually get it started as it sticks - by gently turning the fan until it feels a bit looser, allowing it to start up. The third party servicing company say I need a new motor/fan which comes in one unit. They contacted Dimplex who say it is not currently in stock and there is no ETA. I contacted Dimplex directly (via Twitter) and they say the same, and that it may be discontinued. I have an open case with them but I am not hopeful.

Anyone else in this same boat? What is someone supposed to do in this situation - an aftermarket spare maybe? Ive looked everywhere online but no luck in finding it yet. The part is 1753260 . I have all the other Dimplex bits indoors. Can I use another ASHP from another company, or a newwer Dimplex and keep the existing infrastruce indoors - such as the Dimplex control panel? I have heatmiser UFH setup also.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by Siggles

4 hours ago, Siggles said:

I called in a third party when the fan started making noises and now I have to go out and manually get it started as it sticks - by gently turning the fan until it feels a bit looser, allowing it to start up

Bit of oil?

Change motor start capacitor?

This looks like the motor and fan but Ouch.. £460..

https://www.dimplex.co.uk/product/fan-60mm-motor-blade-l-20m

https://www.showerdoc.com/dimplex-fan-motor-and-bl-1753260

Think I'd be taking it apart and replacing bearings and possibly brushes if it has any (probably not).

Edit: I see you already asked them.

Edited by Temp

If it is noisy and needs a push, it sounds like the fan blades are catching on something?  Either they are bent, or the motor bearings have gone and there is massive play.

Look up if you can find someone local to refurbish the motor, start ny looking for "motor rewinds"  it probably does not need a rewind but they should have the skills needed.

• Like 1

Can you see any make or part numbers on the body of the motor?

While its still sort of working might be worth trying to measure..

How many wires?

Voltage?

Current/power?

RPM?

Edited by Temp

15 hours ago, Temp said:

Bit of oil?

Change motor start capacitor?

It starts okay when the fan is free/loose, so turning it, even when it isn't meant to be running, and leaving it loose allows it to start on its own. So I don't believe it is the starter motor, I believe it is the ball bearings.

Sounds like water has got into the bearings - it happens. They then freeze up and only thaw when they get some movement. 

If you can access the fan - shouldn’t be too difficult. - and get the unit off you may be able to strip it down and clean it up. Electrical contact cleaner or brake cleaner is good for getting water and crud out of bearings and that sort of thing. Once you’ve got it stripped and cleaned, a good coating of copper grease should keep it moving, repacking bearings with ordinary bearing grease will probably do if you don’t have any copper grease (Motor Factors sell it in small tubes) but don’t use WD40 as it doesn’t last long enough. 

15 hours ago, Temp said:

Can you see any make or part numbers on the body of the motor?

While its still sort of working might be worth trying to measure..

How many wires?

Voltage?

Current/power?

RPM?

Dimplex tell me is it 1753260 - I have found one other store that say it takes 2-5 days to come in to stock, no doubt they will then go to Dimplex, who don't have it. I have left a message with them.

I have an open case with Dimplex but not holding much hope. Repairing it is an option I suppose.

8 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Sounds like water has got into the bearings - it happens. They then freeze up and only thaw when they get some movement. 

If you can access the fan - shouldn’t be too difficult. - and get the unit off you may be able to strip it down and clean it up. Electrical contact cleaner or brake cleaner is good for getting water and crud out of bearings and that sort of thing. Once you’ve got it stripped and cleaned, a good coating of copper grease should keep it moving, repacking bearings with ordinary bearing grease will probably do if you don’t have any copper grease (Motor Factors sell it in small tubes) but don’t use WD40 as it doesn’t last long enough. 

Maybe, but it sticks when you turn it and then moves freely and then sticks. If you leave it in a position where it is moving freely, the starter motors gets it going fine and it continues to turn until the system needs it to stop (eg for defrost). It is very noisy, at all times, like it is hiting something, I thought at first it was the hitting the casing but sounds like ball bearings.

They will be a standard bearing on the fan - wonder if it’s out of balance ..?

Plenty of companies out there who do motor rewinds and repairs - not sure where you are in the UK ..? Just do a search for Motor Rewinds. If you’re East Mids then MER do a fan repair service - may be worth a call. 

If you cant get one from Dimplex pester them to see if you can get any kind of specification for it. There are loads of fans and motors out there that could do the job but you will need more technical info than just their part number to select right one. Some things can be measured like the dimensions and operating voltage but others like the air flow rate are harder. 

8 hours ago, Temp said:

Google just found this..

https://www.theheatxchange.co.uk/potterton-fan-motor-blade-l-20m-on-arg-pot1753260

Pretty sure Potterton = Dimplex 

and they claim its "in stock" on their web page.  Best double check that.

Thanks. I did see this one and now that I have done some more research, I have sent them a message to see if it is definitely in stock.

I had someone help me take it apart today. The sticker on the motor is ebmpapst A3G630-AD03-A4 but no real luck with that online. And does that only refer to the motor and not the whole thing with the fan? We couldnt see a way of getting the fan off of the motor, and going in from the back we could see the starter motor etc. Rather than ruin the existing motor for now and while it is working, all be it intermittantly to heat our house while temperatures are minus, we put it all back together and I'll continue to look online and wait on Dimplex.

it's a Papst external-rotor fan. Generally there's a removeable cap in the middle of the mounting bit, and a circlip under that holds the fan and shaft in place. the fan and rotor will then pull off and expose the coils and bearings.

/similar motors are used in scientific kit like incubators, that I work on daily.

• Like 1

+1 Papst have been making fans for decades.

They appear to have a near match on their website here but the last digits of the part number are different. That could be a problem or it could just be a version number.

https://www.ebmpapst.co.uk/en/products/axialfans/axialfansdetail.php?pID=132250

I suggest getting your engineer chap to give them a call to ask if its a replacement or what the differences are.

https://www.ebmpapst.co.uk/en/contact/ebmpapst_uk/spares_replacements/spares_replacements.html

If the original manufacturer is unable to help you or is no longer in business, our agent, Massey Coldbeck, may be able to help identify a suitable replacement. Contact them at the address below with the component part number or as much technical detail as possible.

Massey Coldbeck

Stockpit Road
Knowsley Industrial Park
Kirkby
Liverpool
L33 7TQ

Phone: 0151 5469118
Fax: 0151 5469234
masseycoldbeck@btconnect.com

55 minutes ago, Temp said:

+1 Papst have been making fans for decades.

They appear to have a near match on their website here but the last digits of the part number are different. That could be a problem or it could just be a version number.

https://www.ebmpapst.co.uk/en/products/axialfans/axialfansdetail.php?pID=132250

I suggest getting your engineer chap to give them a call to ask if its a replacement or what the differences are.

Elsewhere I've found data that suggests the last two digits might be important. The -A1 version appears to be the "standard" version. The -A8 appears to have a connector with additional signals on it (eg Alarm signals).  Otherwise they appear to use the same motor part  M3G084-GF.  

If the motor on yours only has two wires that difference might not matter as they are likely to be just power wires. 

Edited by Temp