UFH Return Temp Problems

swisscheese

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

OOOh I never knew that.

I had always quoted the whole message then deleted the bits of it I did not want to include.

2 hours ago, jack said:

Works like that on PC too (as I just learned!)

2 hours ago, PeterStarck said:

Just highlight the bit of text you want to quote and a 'Quote Selection' box comes up.

I'm not as lonely in this world as I thought!! Thanks chaps

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Chriswills said:

Any point having a mixer valve with ASHP?

Depends on the set up, my ASHP only has one temp setting to deliver heating and DHW, I set it to 47’ which is enough fir DHW, it heats a buffer to 35’ for the UFH and a mixer on the manifold brings the temp down to 25’.

9 minutes ago, Chriswills said:

Any point having a mixer valve with ASHP?

The HP will control the flow and return temps and they are low anyway not like a boiler that needs to control the Max heat into the floor. 
Ive never had a mixer. 

Absolutely a requirement. See this regularly and they can overshoot and they can also not modulate down far enough. The modern ASHP refrigerants can hit 62°C too, they are borderline boiler temperature. 

A mixer also gives you the pump which is essential - most issues with UFH come back to lack of flow and as soon as you start with 2 floors and multiple manifolds you need to manage the flows properly. 

More data, this was yesterday morning flow and return temps - alas I don't yet have external temp sensor but it was around zero first thing and icy (outside).  I am wondering if a buffer tank might be a good call here but not a decision I will rush into.  As you can see the time spent either defrosting or recovering is considerable:

image.thumb.png.46ebf74a0996f49ccbe84c8214f50eaa.png

Compare that with the afternoon where ambient temperature is higher:

image.thumb.png.d3b7bbe98ed6196876cec556face733f.png