Should I be offered a Small Works Certificate?

I had a kitchen refitted. Nothing major electrically. We raised the wall units so the grid switch for all the major appliances had to be relocated from its old position immediately below the fuse board to a new position above it. New LV under unit lights added to existing light circuit. Replaced gas hob with induction (using existing cables). A handful of sockets replaced.

I have asked for a small works certificate but they seem very reluctant. They seem a bit confused, and have forwarded me NICEIC guidance to the Part P changes saying that the works are non notifiable. I can't find anything concrete about Small Works Certificates and whether electricians are obliged to provide one.

It's a letting property. It was given its EICR cert. shortly before the kitchen refurb. Given all the hoops landlords are made to jump through, I'd feel more comfortable with some paperwork to show it's all above board.

Does anyone know or have a link to definitive guidance about Small Works Certificates?

If you are in a part P area then alterations to a kitchen definitely are notifiable under part P.  It sounds to me like they are not even registered under a competent persons scheme?

Were they electricians or "kitchen fitters"?  some of the worst wiring to be found is done by kitchen fitters, probably only second to farmers wiring.

• Like 1

Electrician brought in by the kitchen fitters, specifically to do the electrics only.

I have read that anything in the kitchen is notifiable but this suggests not anymore: https://www.niceic.com/Niceic.com/media/Schemes/NICEIC-Part-P-Updated-Factsheet.pdf

I did ask an electrician I know and trust (who was not available at the time) and he did not think works were notifiable - no new circuits. Didn't want to grill him much further!

From that link:

Under the new, revised regulations, electrical work undertaken in kitchens such as adding a new socket or work outdoors such as installing a new security light will no longer be notifiable unless a new circuit is required. This will mean less work has to be notified by electricians

• 1 month later...
On 08/01/2021 at 09:59, Brix said:

Cheers. Can you tell me where that requirement is set out? I'd like to point m to it! 

sorry I'm a new member to this forum and only just seen this.

I qualified under BS 7671 17th edition and the reg then was 631.3 and App 6 as in the graphic.  I believe under the 18th it's 644.4.201.

reg 631.3.jpg

App 6.jpg

• Like 1