Paint roller spinner

ToughButterCup

Ha, looks good, I usually use a hosepipe with sprayer end and point  it at the roller off centre, does the same but you also get covered in water/paint ?, be easy to make that out of an old roller holder.

8 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

I used to hate decorating. After 4 years of self build, I'm thinking of painting and decorating as therapy.

But I hate cleaning paint roller.

Has anyone used one of these - are they worth it?

I’m sure there was a Jezza (un)patented version of this.

Just like the one that used to be hawked on shopping channels.

I'm trying to make my own spinner to fit onto a drill.

The idea is to make something that push-fits into the internal diameter of the paint roller . It would have piece of threaded bar in the middle (M6 ish) which fits into a small drill

The internal diameter of the paint roller  is 38mm. I've hunted around for something with a 38mm external diameter - loads of things are nearly right - like this bit of conduit for electrical wire.

20210107_142126.thumb.jpg.7f86892e15b3d5b5db07a3ae7bfa4c68.jpg

The idea would be to fill that bit of tube with foam and have a bit of M6 embedded in it to act as the drive. The roller sleeve would simply slip over that while it was being cleaned.

Trouble is, this conduit is just a bit too big.

Is there any common building 'tube' which is 38mm or 37ish  outside diameter (so it fits inside a roller sleeve)? 

Edited by ToughButterCup

We almost never clean out a paint roller.  If you are using the same colour again next time, a paint roller will keep for a couple of weeks tightly wrapped up in a plastic bag so it can't dry out.  You only need to properly clean it when you want to paint a different colour or have finished for a while.

Please don't tell me you have been washing it daily?

£2.39 gets you the cheapest roller frame from TS.

38mm is 1.1/2"  how close is that to the o/d of solvent weld pipe and  few wraps of tape?

Edit to add, 1.1/4" solvent weld waste pipe is a shade over 35mm

Edited by JFDIY

35 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Please don't tell me you have been washing it daily?

Yes. For years, many years. Until I met you Dave, I didn't know any better.  Army: if it doesn't move clean it. If it moves, salute it.

Same with you @joe90, wise old bird that ' chare

23 minutes ago, JFDIY said:

38mm is 1.1/2"  how close is that to the o/d of solvent weld pipe and screw wraps of tape?

Yes, exactly wot I fought. Until I tried it ... the last lengths of that I bought were 41 or 42mm o/d

Edited by ToughButterCup

4 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

Yes, exactly wot I fought. Until I tried it ... the last lenghts of that I bought were 41 or 42mm o/d

Try 1.1/4" it's about 35mm

And a couple of wraps of insulation tape, or a bit of old bike inner tube slipped on

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

Bloody Hell Joe: you're a genius.

Nah, just been bodging/inventing/diying for many years (I am told its because I am a tight wad ?). Rather than foam I would cut two circular wood plugs that fit in the pipe either end, use above screws to secure to pipe and 6mm threaded bar bolted to wooden ends (can supply a CAD drawing on request) (crayon assisted drawing ?).

any way, must get on, currently building a bee hive from a big log (cus I am too tight to buy one!).

Edited by joe90
  • Like 1