GRP / Composite / Alternative Copings

steveoelliott

Hi Folks,

I'm looking to replace some traditional concrete coping stones on my roof terrace parapet wall when I get the new flat roof laid... Having some trouble finding trades that aren't too busy on other projects right now but that seems to be the same across the board but that's off topic :)

I am looking to replace the traditional copings with either some GRP, composite or potentially aluminum ones. Does anybody have any good suggestions / experience with this? Once I've found the product I want, I can ask my builder to replace my concrete ones with them. There do seem to be many products on the market so after any recommendations.

I want to go away from concrete copings as they age, weather and discolour quickly and the mortar joints between can crack leading to water ingress into the parapet wall (I do have a DPC under the stones anyway but not looking to rely on it).

Thanks...

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

You can get aluminium or GRP coping covers but they are expensive .......https://guttercentre.co.uk/aluminium-coping/3838-691764-skyline-aluminium-coping-3-metre-length.html?

Thanks joe90, I had actually seen these and thought they looked rather smart alternatives to concrete coping stones... An alternative I found was Copeking https://www.stormking.co.uk/catalog/range/view/category/copeking but they seem to have mixed reviews.

Have you personally used the skyline ones or something similar?

Just now, steveoelliott said:

Have you personally used the skyline ones or something similar?

No, a family member was looking at solving penetrating damp near a parapet wall and I came across them then. I have not used any sort but thought them a good solution.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, joe90 said:

No, a family member was looking at solving penetrating damp near a parapet wall and I came across them then. I have not used any sort but thought them a good solution.

OK, that's basically what I am looking to use them for. An extra layer of protection as by their very nature they shouldn't be porous or be susceptible to mortar cracks between stones. Of course the seals may fail in 10-20 years but that's life... I have learnt since moving into my new property the downsides of parapet walls and how important is they are constructed properly... I speak as a total amateur just on the receiving end of some of the issues associated :)

• Like 1