Building over a sewer

Jason L

Evening 

I was just about to submit an application to build my dwelling over a sewer. 
It’s in Thames water region and I read the guidelines and it says that a new dwelling is not allowed to be built over a sewer !! ??

does anyone know if this is set in stone for Thames Water, as I’m sure it’s been done before ?? 
thanks 

Having worked on several large project for and involving Thames water, I'm afraid I would very much doubt it, you will probably have to install a diversion prior to starting construction dependant on sewer size and flow which would require Thames water approval and of course you would need room on your plot to do the conversion without encroaching on other properties. Another problem again depending on the value that they put on the sewer they may request an right of way or easement in you deed to allow access.

Again you may be a rare case I.e always worth asking but I have never seen them let anyone away with it that they knew of.

P.s are you sure it's a Thames Water owned asset ?

19 minutes ago, Ronan 1 said:

Having worked on several large project for and involving Thames water, I'm afraid I would very much doubt it, you will probably have to install a diversion prior to starting construction dependant on sewer size and flow which would require Thames water approval and of course you would need room on your plot to do the conversion without encroaching on other properties. Another problem again depending on the value that they put on the sewer they may request an right of way or easement in you deed to allow access.

Again you may be a rare case I.e always worth asking but I have never seen them let anyone away with it that they knew of.

P.s are you sure it's a Thames Water owned asset ?

?.  That will be a shame I probably can divert it but it will be very expensive as it’s fairly deep, but if they ask for a right of way easement on the division that will screw it. The rest of us doesn’t have that.  I’m on the boarder with Anglian Water I check with them they say they provide clean water but the sewer is Thames Water.  Cheers. 

Just now, Jason L said:

?.  That will be a shame I probably can divert it but it will be very expensive as it’s fairly deep, but if they ask for a right of way easement on the division that will screw it. The rest of us doesn’t have that.  I’m on the boarder with Anglian Water I check with them they say they provide clean water but the sewer is Thames Water.  Cheers. 

Is it in an estate ? If it's relatively new it might not be vested yet ? Have you a sketch of how it runs through your proposed build? How deep is it ?

4 minutes ago, Ronan 1 said:

Is it in an estate ? If it's relatively new it might not be vested yet ? Have you a sketch of how it runs through your proposed build? How deep is it ?

It’s old council houses. It runs along the back of them, Its not on their sewer maps, i have drawings but not in this device.  

Its 160mm diameter and at the start of the build over it’s about 1600mm deep and 2000mm deep the other side. 

I have seen these diverted without notice on small unidentified runs like this.? It should be possible to divert as it sounds as if it have plenty of fall on it to maintain a good fall over the extra lenght the diversion would add.

It's shouldn't be that expensive or difficult either if you have room on small pipework you should also be able to get away with 450 or 600 non entry chambers which would be alot cheaper to buy and install than concrete manholes. 

Regardless if it's not on their maps I have never seen Thames Water involved where they anything only by their book

12 minutes ago, Ronan 1 said:

I have seen these diverted without notice on small unidentified runs like this.? It should be possible to divert as it sounds as if it have plenty of fall on it to maintain a good fall over the extra lenght the diversion would add.

It's shouldn't be that expensive or difficult either if you have room on small pipework you should also be able to get away with 450 or 600 non entry chambers which would be alot cheaper to buy and install than concrete manholes. 

Regardless if it's not on their maps I have never seen Thames Water involved where they anything only by their book

I think I’d want to do it by the book ?.  So it would need concrete chambers.  There’s loads of fall on the pipe as the ground also slopes in the way of the fall.  Thanks for your help. 

The law changed a few years ago on lateral drains, and now every one that serves more than one dwelling becomes the property of the sewage provider from the boundary of the first property on the run (ie between first and second connections). 

@Jason L what number connection are you..? You will need to discuss with your neighbours about changing this as it could have impacts on them whilst the work is done - even temporary - and the more there are, the harder and more expensive it becomes as it has to be done quickly. 

32 minutes ago, PeterW said:

The law changed a few years ago on lateral drains, and now every one that serves more than one dwelling becomes the property of the sewage provider from the boundary of the first property on the run (ie between first and second connections). 

@Jason L what number connection are you..? You will need to discuss with your neighbours about changing this as it could have impacts on them whilst the work is done - even temporary - and the more there are, the harder and more expensive it becomes as it has to be done quickly. 

I dont know for sure, there could be 6 houses connected to this run, and i'm hoping to build the 7th over it.